64-65 273 intake wedge washers....where to get?

-

JDMopar

Reaction score
So, about everybody knows the early 273 intake bolt holes story. Well, I'm doing it in reverse and putting an Edelbrock D4B intake on later model heads. If you have ever had to buy wedge washers to bolt a later intake to early 273 heads, where did you get them and are they round and wedge shaped? What if I use beveled washers? I have a really nice Weiand 8007 that I bought from a member here, but the tops on the intake runners stick up above the valve cover flanges on the heads. That makes the valve covers say "Nope. not doin it!" I've thought about getting the tops of the Weiand intake runners milled down if wedge washers for the Edelbrock D4B don't pan out. There's plenty of meat left above the tops of the ports, so if I do go that route there won't be any sealing worries. I know it's 'just' a Weiand....but I hate hacking up aluminum intakes, lol. So, what have y'all done with wedge washers? Thanks.

I just used fender washers. Worked, but 'wedge washers' would work even better.

I thought about swapping, but was afraid of what I might get in exchange. I've already glass beaded and painted mine, so it's ready to go. If you'd be willing to swap one, a lunch trip to Zaxby's might be in order if I can't work it out otherwise. :) I did find some self leveling washers that would work good. One side is convex and the other is concave with each side flat on the back. They aren't cheap, so it may be about the same price to just get the 8007 milled off so the valve covers will fit.

I thought about swapping, but was afraid of what I might get in exchange. I've already glass beaded and painted mine, so it's ready to go. If you'd be willing to swap one, a lunch trip to Zaxby's might be in order if I can't work it out otherwise. :) I did find some self leveling washers that would work good. One side is convex and the other is concave with each side flat on the back. They aren't cheap, so it may be about the same price to just get the 8007 milled off so the valve covers will fit.
Leveling washers don't compensate enough for the angle, when I looked. I know milling was how Offenhauser used to get some of their intake manifolds to fit early LA valve covers. Mine are not cleaned up, painted, or ready to go. We can meet closer to you, maybe lunch half way between.

Last edited:
Leveling washers don't compensate enough for the angle, when I looked. I know milling was how Offenhauser used to get some of their intake manifolds to fit early LA valve covers. Mine are not cleaned up, painted, or ready to go. We can meet closer to you, maybe lunch half way between.
I got dragged away, kicking and screaming today....and didn't get to work on it. I'll holler at you if I don't use the D4B and need to swap. I certainly appreciate the ideas and info!

:thumbsup:

Follow up and close out reply.....I got the Weiand 8007 intake runners milled off a little where they meet the valve cover rails and it fits perfect. I bagged the newly refurbished Edelbrock D4B up and stuck it back on the shelf for down the road if I'm ever :realcrazy: enough to fool with another 64-65 vintage 273 again! Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

:thumbsup:

the term I used when looking for some was "tapered washers". I've been looking for the thread that I started that included measurements and the degree taper that is needed, along with a source, but can't seem to find it.

-
Back