64/65 Barracuda factory Options question

-

hangtendartsport

Reaction score
hello, I have a few questions regarding 65 Barracuda, maybe someone knows...

Did the 64 Barracuda come with a manual choke lever from factory?
What determined if the Barracuda had one or not?
I have an early 65 model, that has one mounted underneath the factory AC
this is a Commando 273 with 4 speed
I don't recall seeing this on other models I had, Formula S cars both 65 with automatics

Also, never found an answer on the Special Equipment Package #4060 listed for $29.35 on factory Chrysler Window Label on another 1965 Barracuda.

Does anyone know what that package was?

Finally, mine came with a factory front sway bar, but is not a Formula S.
On the Purchase Agreement, it list the Commando Engine for 99.40, but it was not noted that it had the Performance Group Package. (which would have been for a higher amount if listed, as it would have included the Power Brakes and suspension package, if not mistaken)

It does have factory Sure Grip, Power Brakes, 4-speed.

Unfortunately, I do not have a window label for my Barracuda.
I do have the Original Purchase Agreement dated September 25, 1964
Curiously, it is noted in parenthesis (NO STICKER) underscored handwritten)

I also have the Certicard and Original Invoice dated Nov 16 1964 when it was taken delivery

thank you!

Attachments

• 041.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 405
  • 067.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 400
  • 0514_001.pdf
    190.7 KB · Views: 132
I forgot to mention, click on the PDF below the pictures, to see copy of the Original Paper work. thank you

Attachments

• 0514_001.pdf
    190.7 KB · Views: 157
You have an interesting and very nicely optioned 65 Barracuda.
A couple of thing came to my mind reading your paper work.
(1) 2.94:1 rear end ratio was optional with 4 speed....3:23 was standard
(2) I thought, even in 1965, federal regulations mandated a window sticker to be included in a new car sale. Was this a new car sale? Or was this a Chrysler rep car sold by the dealer, which may or may not have included a window sticker? Usually a rep car sold by the dealer has the car mileage stated on the sale record.
(3) I see nothing to explain how or why the sway bar is present unless this option was lost with the missing window sticker. The car may have had the 325 option Performance Group from the factory. If this is correct, your car should have HD torsion bars (blue paint blob on the bar and/or 892/893 if you have the buildsheet ), HD rear springs and power brakes.
Note: the torsion paint blob is usually visible after wiping it clean along its length.
(4) I would like to see picture of the fender tag and buildsheet if they are available and perhaps we can unravel your mystery. The answer likely is contained in the buildsheet or IBM punch card. The punch card may be available from Chrysler Historical Society for a fee.

thank you for your reply.

I actually do have the original Broadcast Page and IBM Car.
I will have to make a copy, and post later.

On the Purchase Agreement, what do you suppose "NO STICKER" means?

What I do know, the Original Owner specifically ordered this car with the Options he wanted. He kept meticulous records, and even saved letters and replies he received back from Chrysler Corp. He even saved the dated envelopes from Chrysler, and his own letters.
Also a log book from new, logging in every gas fill up, oil change, and maintenance record.
Every registration.

So it is surprising not to have the Window Label. too bad for me.

I think in the next few days, I will post a couple of his letters to Chrysler, and their response. They are quite interesting. It sure was a different time. I cant imagine getting the personal attention from the giant that is Chrysler today. Perhaps I am wrong.

thanks again.

here are some pictures of my 65 Barracuda...

Attachments

• P1000169.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 370
  • P1000171.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 382
  • 086.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 393
  • 035 reduced.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 403
  • 026.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 370
  • 025.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 388
Great you have the buildsheet, please post it along with the fender tag. I like the way the original owner ordered a car exactly as he wanted it....that process has long since disappeared.

I see from the pictures that your car's molded upper radiator hose has been replaced by an ugly flex one.
You may be interested in a thread started by me (pbiggs) a couple of years ago titled "Upper molded radiator hose A/C 273 cars". (I couldn't figure out how to insert the thread into this one, so just do a search using my name or title of the thread and it should come up.

Anyway (65DartGTConv) recently posted some very useful information concerning a replacement for that upper hose. I don't know if anyone has tried his suggestion about the Explorer hose, but hopefully it will work.

Thank you for the suggestion I will take you up on that ,
My data plate was not very legible due to corrosion, I had to take it off and verify numbers off back side,
I may be incorrect with the A below SO

Attachments

• image.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 356
Thank you, I didn't realize that

Maybe that is the answer, it makes sense

See attached Fender tag, it's rough
As mentioned earlier, I may have goofed on the A under SO

Attachments

• image.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 320
Here's what I find from the buildsheet and fender tag information

The build sheet does not indicate a factory installed sway bar. ( 469 is blank on b'sheet)
No factory suspension pkg ( 63 blank on b'sheet
Rear springs and torsion bar are standard V8 spec (1,4 rear spr / 1,2 torsion bar)

Both the build sheet and fender tag indicate no factory installed radio ( 44 radio is blank) and letter Q on the fender tag is blank) Both places would have the number 1 with factory radio.

Perhaps the owner had the sway bar installed by the dealer after delivery / or driving it for a while. Looks like the radio was installed by the dealer after the car's arrival to the dealership but prior to customer delivery.

One can only guess..it's certainly possible the Chrysler factory made build sheet and fender tag boo-boos. My guess is the owner decided on a radio and the sway bar as an afterthought and had the dealer add them.

Anyway, looks like a cool car..good luck

pbiggs and 65dartcharger. thank you both

I am a little bummed about the sway bar/suspension thing.

From what I could tell about the Original Owner, he was not a do it your-self-er
He was an Engineer, and very Detail oriented.
He did order a radio, its on the Order Form, Invoice, but not on the Broadcast.
Why, I don't know.
I do have a letter he wrote to Chrysler, requesting a schematic for the radio.
They responded they could send for $1.00, which he promptly sent, and he did received it!
I have that photocopy as well.
Unfortuanately, he is no longer alive and I cant ask him.

His son I can ask. He had the car from 2002, but put less than 1500 miles on it.
it currently has about 88K on it.
Also, I can dig around and try to find another build sheet.
I don't think the seats or carpet have every been out.
I thought for sure it had the performance package, but I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad.
The sway bar looks to be an original piece, and it has been on the car for a very long time.

Anyway, I wanted to thank you both.
And the other members who have contributed to answering my question.
I tip my cap to you all, thank you!

Attachments

• 039.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 326
  • 033.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 333
  • 027.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 325
  • 025.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 315
  • 021.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 332
  • 019.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 367
  • 016.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 303
Those documents on the car is a gold mine!

Re 1 under F could that be the sway bar? Both my Dartchargers has power brakes but nothing under F.

I was interested in a car labeled as a 65 Formula S, but according to window sticker, the S Option is not shown. However, it has all of the S Options listed separately.
Can anyone help with the decode of fender tag, or offer a possible explanation?

I thought the S Option was about 250.00, and would have been marked as such on window sticker.

Thank you!

Attachments

• P7250007.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 277
  • P7250008.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 256
  • 20150528_100243.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 252
Great looking car. Amazing you have the information you have. Most of us would love to have that information with our cars.

Any chance he could have ordered the car and then had the dealer add the swaybar ?

Attachments

• Ama Specs - 1965 Plymouth Valiant 004.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 202
  • Ama Specs - 1965 Plymouth Valiant 003.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 208
  • Build Record Order Form.xls.pdf
    14.8 KB · Views: 184
  • side2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 210
  • scan0012.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 213
  • scan0011.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 210
  • scan0010.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 215
  • scan0007.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 203
  • scan0004.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 195
  • scan0003.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 214
Here is the information on the blue fendertag.

Barracuda 1965
3 = 9 variable wiper w/washer
7 = 2 sold car when ordered
AB = 31 273 x 4 bbl
D = 3 4-speed w/Hurst shifter
E = 5 heater w/defroster
F = 1 power brakes
T = 8 tach
V = 3 back up lights
Z = 2 front buckets with console
SO = 331 March 31, 1965
Number = 00010 Factory invoice number
V = Valiant (included Barracuda)
8 = Barracuda + taxi
9 = Barracuda
P = Premium front bucket seat
4 = Vinyl bucket seats
B = Blue
W = White roof color
W = White body color
1 = Mono style paint
D = Painted racing stripe blue
D = Upper door frame blue

I have seen a letter from Chrysler stating the delay of the front sway bars from factory on early cars and offering a credit?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 196
Did the 64 Barracuda come with a manual choke lever from factory?

No, and while manual choke kits have long been available in the aftermarket (parts stores), they were not offered through the Mopar parts division.

I have an early 65 model, that has one mounted underneath the factory AC

Previous owner trick.

Finally, mine came with a factory front sway bar, but is not a Formula S.

Front sway bar could be ordered by itself or as part of HD suspension, but could also be purchased over the parts counter and installed after the car was delivered.

It does have factory Sure Grip, Power Brakes, 4-speed.

Nicely optioned car!

Interesting

You can get the sway bar pkg.
You can get the sway bar and HD shock package.
You can get the HD torsion bar, spring and shock package.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 147
-
Back