64-66 273 manifolds on later model 318

-

prorac1

Reaction score
I have the option of purchasing a 1983 318 out of a Ram Charger, or a 1985 318 from a 3/4 ton truck. I plan on slipping it into a 1963 Valiant with Schumacher mounts and using a pair of 273 A body manifolds.

I know that some of the later 318s had emission ports under the exhaust ports that need to be blocked off by tapping and installing pipe plugs. What year did they start building the LA motors with those ports?

Thanks, Eric L

I have the option of purchasing a 1983 318 out of a Ram Charger, or a 1985 318 from a 3/4 ton truck. I plan on slipping it into a 1963 Valiant with Schumacher mounts and using a pair of 273 A body manifolds.

I know that some of the later 318s had emission ports under the exhaust ports that need to be blocked off by tapping and installing pipe plugs. What year did they start building the LA motors with those ports?

Thanks, Eric L

I once bought a set of 77 360 heads that had the small holes that you are talking about.

Not sure if that was the first year, but they were in by '77....

I know where an 85 360 dodge Ram engine is in Joliet complete from carb to oil pan (someone put an edelbrock carb on it) and from pulleys to transfer case for $200 if it's still there....

Just mentioning it in case you wanted something bigger... Not that far from Michigan...

Interesting. Any idea how many miles on it and if they would sell just the motor? Is this a buddy of yours? Pics and info if possible. Thanks, Eric L

There's also a water passage bump on the emission era heads that the driver's side manifold hits.

Interesting. Any idea how many miles on it and if they would sell just the motor? Is this a buddy of yours? Pics and info if possible. Thanks, Eric L

I can't remember exactly. It's a friend of a friend.

He wants to get $200 for the whole thing. It is attached to a short 4x4 727 trans and transfer case. He said that it ran good when he pulled it, but I would just consider it a core. Maybe buy it and sell off the transfer case and trans if you don't need them. It came out of an 85 Ramcharger or Ram, I think Ramcharger.

I didn't get any pictures as I wasn't interested in it after I saw it. (I was originally told that it was cheaper, and don't need any more engines at this time....). I'm just passing along the info in case you are interested, I can get you in touch with my friend and see if it's still there...

It has a edelbrock 4 bbl carb in decent condition with a spacer and stock spread bore intake, a/c compressor and alternator.

I can't remember exactly. It's a friend of a friend.

He wants to get $200 for the whole thing. It is attached to a short 4x4 727 trans and transfer case. He said that it ran good when he pulled it, but I would just consider it a core. Maybe buy it and sell off the transfer case and trans if you don't need them. It came out of an 85 Ramcharger or Ram, I think Ramcharger.

I didn't get any pictures as I wasn't interested in it after I saw it. (I was originally told that it was cheaper, and don't need any more engines at this time....). I'm just passing along the info in case you are interested, I can get you in touch with my friend and see if it's still there...

It has a edelbrock 4 bbl carb in decent condition with a spacer and stock spread bore intake, a/c compressor and alternator.

Ok. Thanks for the info. I'm not really looking for a core motor, but rather a good usable motor as is. But if it's still there maybe we can work something out. Thank you for the info. Eric L

Ok. Thanks for the info. I'm not really looking for a core motor, but rather a good usable motor as is. But if it's still there maybe we can work something out. Thank you for the info. Eric L

PM me if you get interested. No pressure, just passing the info along to someone who may need it.

Where is this bump? And do you grind the bump or clearance the manifold? Thanks, Eric L

At the left rear grind from the head and manifold both but not just one. Trust me taking from the head only results in coolant leaking.

You'll just have to look for the ports. It's not like they'll be hiding.

that 85 teen is a roller, use it if you want to run a roller in the future.

Thanks for all the information guys. Now I have an idea of what to look for. Kinda makes me want my X and J heads back that I had 20 years ago, lol.

Any thoughts about carving a magnum motor? I've seen a bunch of those around cheap lately, but I believe they require a special intake and were prone to head cracking issues. Thanks again for all the help. Eric L

Had 273 Manifolds on the 87 318 in my '65 Valiant before switching over to Spitfire's. No issues except they were corking up that very mild 'teen something awful.

Bob

I am running them on my 340 in my 64 dart, when the motor is fully broken in I plan on switching to dougs, although I hate with a passion headers, there seems to be no other choice.

64 dart 340 10.5" clutch and power steering.

Thanks for the help guys. This motor is going into a car for my son that we are restoring. So that was kinda my angle on the project. Get a stockish 318-360, clean it up, check and replace the bearings, timing chain, oil pump, gaskets, etc. Show my son how to do it, get a car pan and pick up and put it back together with a swap meet carb and aluminum intake and a baby replacement cam. Than use the 273 manifolds to cork it up a little. Eric L

-
Back