64 barracuda engine swap

-

PWN

Reaction score
I Haven't posted in a long time, but I still lurk around from time to time. I had originally planned to build a 360 for my 64. I got a lot of great ideas and engine combos from the members here. That being said I may have changed my mind. I would be very happy with a 360 but what I really want is a hemi. Not sure if it's possible or not, but would a 426 hemi crate slide into a 64 barracuda? She's still running with the 273 now and I'm not that far along with the 360.

Would it take anymore work to go with a 426 hemi over the 360?

A lot more work, but worth the effort. I have not done it, but have read several threads, articles, and heard folks hash it out. There is not enough room without mods to the inner fenders. I have some ideas of how to accomplish this and make it look like it was supposed to be in there. I am not sure what motor mounts are required, but once that is figured out, mount the engine on the k-frame on a dolly. Then take two inner fenders and mount them on dollies at the correct height. Then, move them in and identify the first points of contact. Then measure the distance between these and compare to those in the car. then begin removing portions of the "template" inner fenders and continue until the "template" inner fenders will scoot in to the correct distance apart. Then fabricate modified "patch panels" to make these cut down inner fenders look factory finished. Then make the template dimensions available to all of us. If you were closer, I'd love to help 'cause I don't think I will ever have a 426.

I wish you were closer too bama. Would love to learn from ya.

Great link pishta, thank you.

Gotta do some homework on this, it's too advanced for what I can do. I'm gonna give it a go though. Just gotta find the right help :)

How many times does it need to be stated....big blocks do not fit early body cuda'a, it is not a joke. You can easily do a 318, 360 small block but not any big block without a major cutting up of front end and mess up of the car period! That is a bottom line....Yes one can be creative and raise the motor and put motor in rear of car or do lots of work to make it fit but that is a different type of project all together, one does not just put in a big block motor to a 64-66 cuda. Good luck have fun..I love mine 65 formula S with a 318.........

How many times does it need to be stated....big blocks do not fit early body cuda'a, ....... one does not just put in a big block motor to a 64-66 cuda. .........

Except me.. I must have missed that post...
86.JPG

Yeah show me how you change the plugs without lifting the motor ........be real and tell me how much does the exhaust rub the inside of the fenders when it runs...be real ....this is a nice picture of a reason why you dont do it!!!!!!! It may be a nice show car but no way its a driver around a corner for sure....good luck to you!!!!!

I was at a car show in Estes Park a couple of years ago and saw a 65 Barracuda with a 426 Hemi in it. The guy had basically removed the front end and inner fenders and fabricated all new front suspension with provisions to hang the fenders and hood back on. Of course he had removed and refabricated most everything else too. Big tranny tunnel, roll cage, four link rear, etc, etc. But he had built it to be a street/strip car. It looked really nice and I kick myself for not taking detailed pictures of it. The only problem he said he really had with it was that the 416 Dart he built for his wife was faster in the quarter and a WHOLE lot easier to do and that's why his became more of a show car.

oh another by the way..try to stop your big block car with the single brake cylinder at a high speed and heavy engine and see what happens to you when the trees or light poles start to get close? I had enough trouble with my 66 cuda when I had the 318 drag race engine in it, just slowing down at the track...LOL. I now have a double brake cylinder in my 65 cuda just for plain safety it is just reality for any car that is not a show car anymore! I had lost my 66 cuda in an accident because the master cylinder gave it up and the brakes went out and it was kill someone or wreck the car so I gave up the car and learned it the hard way, if your going to go on the road or track..dual master cylinder is a simple rule. saftey is simple

I was at a car show in Estes Park a couple of years ago and saw a 65 Barracuda with a 426 Hemi in it. The guy had basically removed the front end and inner fenders and fabricated all new front suspension with provisions to hang the fenders and hood back on. Of course he had removed and refabricated most everything else too. Big tranny tunnel, roll cage, four link rear, etc, etc. But he had built it to be a street/strip car. It looked really nice and I kick myself for not taking detailed pictures of it. The only problem he said he really had with it was that the 416 Dart he built for his wife was faster in the quarter and a WHOLE lot easier to do and that's why his became more of a show car.

<416 Dart he built for his wife was faster in the quarter> :burnout:
The ole woofer grins as he is taking out a 340 and putting in a 416.

I appreciate the info. Safety is always first and to be honest I never even thought about not being able to stop it. I will be 100% happy with a well built 360 and I can keep my hemi dreams alive with a new project car down the road :) I love my 64 and I'm going to drive it until I die...hopefully from a heart attack brought on by a sexual encounter when im 150. My problem now is going to be convincing the wife to let me buy a 69 or 70:(

I guess I won't bother posting the construction of my big block 64 Dart on FABO. Too many experienced big block experts to prove me wrong. I guess it is impossible. Might as well not waste my time.

Mike

I guess I won't bother posting the construction of my big block 64 Dart on FABO. Too many experienced big block experts to prove me wrong.

Mike

Mike, I'd love to see the posting of the construction. Feel free to post it, wont catch any flack from me.

I have seen at least 1/2 dozen big blocks (383's and 440's) put into early A's. Back in the 80's, I even saw a 63 Valiant Post car converted over to a Max-Wedge. The big block conversion can be done. A lot more work than putting a small block in, but it can be done safely as long as you think about what you need in advance

As for stopping/safety. Adding a big block is only a few additional hundred pounds. Maybe 300. Thats a really big friend that can no longer ride in your car. The single mason jar had brake fade problems anyhow. Much mountain driving in an automatic car and thats something you'd want to upgrade anyhow. The HD 10" brakes on the early A's are more than enough stopping power with a Dual Master Cylindar. OR do an upgrade to the 4 piston disc brakes (if want sbp) or the later A-body lbp single piston brakes.

For Changing spark Plugs, I've seen holes drilled thru the inner fender, painted then grommetted, to be able to reach the spark plugs with the HP Big Block Exhaust (Pic Above). I've also seen a few pic's on FABO of someone who built some custom Headers, seemed plug reach from above might even be possible, depending on the setup.

My biggest point here is. If you want todo it, you can find a way. You can do it safely if you think it through. Dual reservoir Master, Disc Brakes, Sub-Frame Connectors, 8 3/4 upgrade, Torsion Bar Upgrade, Custom Cross-member, Custom Driveline, Oversized (4 or 6 core) radiator probably all a must. I havent built my checklist yet, as I'm just starting to plan for my next project, which will be a big block early A. Each problem I encounter, will be solved smartly and safely. A 440 I built for my 68 GTX is coming available, and I'd like to find a '65 Dart 170 2-door Post car to drop it into)

--Tom

I guess I won't bother posting the construction of my big block 64 Dart on FABO. Too many experienced big block experts to prove me wrong. I guess it is impossible. Might as well forget it.

Mike
Keep thinking that, AZ! And tell thew how my modded pro-parts B headers fit our narrow chassis! That single pot was never for that motor install but.... Look at a 63 Max Wedge car, big motor. bigger car, and...same teapot brakes! Imagine that...I had 10" "S" brakes, would not attempt with the common 9's. With solid mounts, the exhaust never came closer than the 1/4 inch it was dropped in at. Plugs; I put new ones in before I installed it ;-) I did actually drive that car around a corner, and straight and locked the fronts up during a test stop. It all worked...oooh.
Did you know the weight difference between a 383 and a 273 is only 80 lbs? http://www.mopar1.us/engineweight.htmlRemove the 60 lb 383 intake and put on a 25 lb AL one, then install headers at a savings of about 10 lbs per side, put on a Super Stock AL waterpump and housing for another 20 lbs saving and now your within a bag of flour of your stock 273 weight. Relocate the battery and your in the black. The nose heavy myth doesnt take into consideration common weight saving mods like these. Lover, Keep believing it can't be done, us who know it can be done will stand in the back quietly answering any questions believers may have...Good luck. :)

Post up that big block conversion Mike! Since I have done it I know it can be done. Most folks underestimate the work involved though and then quit or cobble just to get done with it. It would be great to see a post documenting the details required. Then there would be documentation for those with interest in doing it too, so they can decide if they want to undertake a project of that magnitude.

The car is going out for spring relocation in a couple of weeks so I can hang the Dana 60 (out of a 6 cylinder car) from the Caltrac suspension. The springs are weanie thou as they must be off of a Nova as they are single leaf, not only that but they are broken and bolted together. Oh well I need to use what I have.

The 18 spline 4 speed is too long so I rummaged through the **** pile and found an aluminum tailshaft laying next to the a body mainshaft. Who would of guessed.

Hey Pishta I am going to tweak a couple of tubes but those modified Pro Parts headers will work ok, assuming that I put them on the right side. Oh yea, don't forget the aluminum heads and glass hood.

I have the crappy 74 dart disc brakes w/ dual manual master but I plan on cutting a hole in the floor of my rust free car so I have an extra pair of emergency brakes.

But if it can't be done, then I see some heads up match racing in my future. lol

.557 Solid lifter, 10.1, 383, Stealth heads, RPM intake, Bigs 750carb, 4 speed, 4.10 Dana, 295 MT drag radials. Lets get it on!!

Mike

Post up that big block conversion Mike! Since I have done it I know it can be done. Most folks underestimate the work involved though and then quit or cobble just to get done with it. It would be great to see a post documenting the details required. Then there would be documentation for those with interest in doing it too, so they can decide if they want to undertake a project of that magnitude.

Hey grimreaper, since this is my "bucket list car" and final ground up build I planned on documenting it thoroughly, mainly for myself. As I am moving just after Christmas I don't see a lot of progress before next year. I know that this project is not going to be cheap but who gives a **** anyway.

I have thought about the various different ways that I can build the car and may explore the simplest path first (which doesn't include not doing it) and then starting doing upgrades as time and money allow (wife). The last thing that I will waste my money on will be paint. It will be all R&D.

I like the idea of present different methods and parts combos to help guys with their projects or as you say maybe even disuade them from even attempting a big block early a project. I will maintain a diary supported with photos.

Constructive and non constructive critisizm will be welcomed.

I understand how most early a guys wouldn't take on a project like this because most of them don't have much money which is why we have these cars. But maybe there will be some entertainment value.

I have had all big block power cars from the 361 to a 440 6 pack and a Hemi. All of them are over my head now. I just like to do cars that are different and what other people say is stupid and can't be done.

So there you have it.

Mike

Hey grimreaper, since this is my "bucket list car" and final ground up build I planned on documenting it thoroughly, mainly for myself. As I am moving just after Christmas I don't see a lot of progress before next year. I know that this project is not going to be cheap but who gives a **** anyway.

I have thought about the various different ways that I can build the car and may explore the simplest path first (which doesn't include not doing it) and then starting doing upgrades as time and money allow (wife). The last thing that I will waste my money on will be paint. It will be all R&D.

I like the idea of present different methods and parts combos to help guys with their projects or as you say maybe even disuade them from even attempting a big block early a project. I will maintain a diary supported with photos.

Constructive and non constructive critisizm will be welcomed.

I understand how most early a guys wouldn't take on a project like this because most of them don't have much money which is why we have these cars. But maybe there will be some entertainment value.

I have had all big block power cars from the 361 to a 440 6 pack and a Hemi. All of them are over my head now. I just like to do cars that are different and what other people say is stupid and can't be done.

So there you have it.

Mike

I've got more than $20k into my 64 on body work and paint alone. Still have motor,rear end,front end and interior to go. I have money invested in it because I love it.

Anyway. I would love to see your build. I can't do what you do because it's way over my head and frankly, I'm tired of paying people to work on my car. I started this car in hopes of being able to do everything that needed to be done. I quickly ran out of time and help. Other than building the motor (which I couldnt do on my own) I'm going to at least try and do everything else that needs to be done. As I learn and get more comfortable working on these cars, then I might be ready for the advanced stuff:D

I've got more than $20k into my 64 on body work and paint alone. Still have motor,rear end,front end and interior to go. I have money invested in it because I love it.

Anyway. I would love to see your build. I can't do what you do because it's way over my head and frankly, I'm tired of paying people to work on my car. I started this car in hopes of being able to do everything that needed to be done. I quickly ran out of time and help. Other than building the motor (which I couldnt do on my own) I'm going to at least try and do everything else that needs to be done. As I learn and get more comfortable working on these cars, then I might be ready for the advanced stuff:D

Hey PWN, I am just the opposite, the mechanical stuff is my forte. The car is going to look like **** until I have the drivetrains sorted out and fully functional before worry about the looks. I am going to try to chronical it from start to finish so maybe some of the photos and text may help or disuade someone decide to do this type of project.

Thanks,
Mike

-
Back