64 Barracuda hazard switch

-

amx364

Reaction score
All Right, working on sister-in-laws 64 barracuda and putting in a Autowire harness. Hazard switch does not exist in a 64, do you think I could use a 67 turn signal switch and modify to use the hazard switch? Or what should I use instead? Thinking of a pull switch, if nothing else.

Not sure on the 67 harness and switch but my 66 it plugs in the column harness and then the dash harness so no cutting of wires necessary. On my 65 they put in an aftermarket and cut the wires. I would think of trying to get a 66 and see about plugging that in rather than cut wires.

does the 66 have a hazard switch? There are no wires installed at this time, soon.

You don't need to change the column signal switch at ALL. On the 67, the hazard outfit is completely separate and basically "splices into" the signal system. Now I realize it plugs in, but it hooks in as if it was an afterthought You used to be able to buy 4x hazard switch kits that work the same way.

One of the add on 4x flasher kits you used to see:

NOS_Signal_Stat_Flarestat_Add_On_4_Way_Flasher_Kit_6084571e84acfbb861f0_1.jpg

All in the word that a 67 hazard switch, is the following:

A 3 pole, single pole switch. (3 pole means it is 3 switches in one box, NOT 3 terminal)

So you have 1 input, 4 outputs. The 4 outputs are all separate with switch off, with switch on all 4 terminals are hooked together

The 4 way flasher output hooks to the common switch contact

Then the other three (open) switch contacts hook to:

left front signal wire
right front signal wire
brake light switch output on it's way into the signal switch.

Below is a functional diagram. Everything inside the dotted lines is added 4x flasher circuit to a car which had none, or also the functional way that my 67 works

In the screenshot from the shot manual, that's exactly how my 67 is wired

The 4x flasher gets power from the fuse panel at very top. Power out of the flasher comes down the page on D32 to the switch. This equates to the right hand part of the diagram in my drawing

Then the other three terminals equate to the left hand terminals of the switch in my drawing

D9 and D9A top right terminal, tan, go off to right front signal and right indicator lamp

D10 and D10A, top left terminal, light green, go off to left front signal and left indicator lamp

D4, bottom right terminal, white, go up and branch into the output of the brake lamp switch. So with the switch centered, this power feeds both rear lamps

Attachments

• 4xflash.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 385
  • Dart4flasher.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 444
does the 66 have a hazard switch? There are no wires installed at this time, soon.

It was an option and the switch was in the dash and plugs in the harness as 67Dart273 says. May have been the same in 67 as he says I am not sure.

Where to buy, YES that was what I was thinking about, as far as a factory switch.

If you're after the original optional hazard flasher setup, it's going to be a "go fish" item. They don't turn up very often. The old-fashioned add-on hazard flasher kits are still available as Signal-Stat part number 127. Truck-Lite owns Signal-Stat, so any Truck-Lite jobber (most heavy duty truck supply houses) can order you a #127. It still comes with the old-fashioned transparent red illuminated pull knob. Installation instructions are here.

-
Back