'64 Dart GT, D64 Intake, Engine Build

-

my7tb

Reaction score
I have a '64 dart GT, with the 273 V8 & 4-speed. White, with black side trim and interior, & dogdish hubcaps. It's a project car, as it's unrestored, been sitting in a barn for over ten years, etc. I'll be working on getting it running over the winter. I have a 360 that I'd like to build for it, while I restore / work on the car (keeping it original is another debate, vs a straight axle nostalgia car build) and use it as a daily driver. I'd like to use a dual carb intake if I can. I recently bought a D64 Edelbrock intake. Can I use it and the 273 heads on the 360 block, or should I hold out for a D66 intake for use with the 360 heads ? These cars and the 273 engines are new to me. What are the performance options, what can be done with them, etc. ?

I have a '64 dart GT, with the 273 V8 & 4-speed. White, with black side trim and interior, & dogdish hubcaps. It's a project car, as it's unrestored, been sitting in a barn for over ten years, etc. I'll be working on getting it running over the winter. I have a 360 that I'd like to build for it, while I restore / work on the car (keeping it original is another debate, vs a straight axle nostalgia car build) and use it as a daily driver. I'd like to use a dual carb intake if I can. I recently bought a D64 Edelbrock intake. Can I use it and the 273 heads on the 360 block, or should I hold out for a D66 intake for use with the 360 heads ? These cars and the 273 engines are new to me. What are the performance options, what can be done with them, etc. ?

If it were mine i'd stick with the 273. With a 4 speed and some gear in the butt that car would be a blvd screamer

Attachments

• DSCN0524[1].jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 204
Do the 273,that would be a sweet ride.If you got the fast bug, depends how fast? If it were me,P.M toolmanmike,His sounds sweet on his video in the video gallery.

Nice pic dart4forte. Alright, I'll put the D64 intake on the 273, and see what it can do. Are the 273 heads closed-chambered ? Do they offer any performance features / options ? Twin Carter 500 cfm carbs ? Progressive linkage, with the rear primary feeding at idle,or run the carbs equally ? Does the 273 have adjustable rockers / solid lifters ? I'm thinking I'll swap the cam & lifters with a fresh set. Any recommendations ? I'll not be pulling the engine out and doing machining. I just want to make it a good driver for now, with some performance & street intimidation features (gear drive ?) to intimidate the Chevy (sorry for the bad language here) boys out on the streets. The axle is a 7-1/4" ? Not sure what the original gearing is with the 273 & 4-speed, or how much it can withstand for future performance. 8-3/4" instead ? Thanks for your help Mopar brothers. :D

Nice pic dart4forte. Alright, I'll put the D64 intake on the 273, and see what it can do. Are the 273 heads closed-chambered ? Do they offer any performance features / options ? Twin Carter 500 cfm carbs ? Progressive linkage, with the rear primary feeding at idle,or run the carbs equally ? Does the 273 have adjustable rockers / solid lifters ? I'm thinking I'll swap the cam & lifters with a fresh set. Any recommendations ? I'll not be pulling the engine out and doing machining. I just want to make it a good driver for now, with some performance & street intimidation features (gear drive ?) to intimidate the Chevy (sorry for the bad language here) boys out on the streets. The axle is a 7-1/4" ? Not sure what the original gearing is with the 273 & 4-speed, or how much it can withstand for future performance. 8-3/4" instead ? Thanks for your help Mopar brothers. :D

If possibel find 920s. They seem to flow the best. I have access to flow numbers that show they outflow the 302s. Run a stainless valve. Cut down a 1.88 to 1.84 and you'll get no shrouding. I have an old school progressive set up. You'll need to modify the throttle bracket. 7.25 with a 4 gear car is iffy. It's a non-starter if you run a sticky tire. In 1965 Dodge recalled the 7.25 on 4 gear cars and changed to a 8.75. There are still 4 gear cars out there with the 7.25.

I kinda like the 273's myself. LOL Dual quads might be a bit big unless you build a heck of an engine. A couple of these carbs would be plenty. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-8007/
I just about forgot, If your engine is original to the car it will be a 180 horse low compression engine. The pistons gave the HP engine it's compression and the cam, intake, dual point and dress up goodies made it a HP engine. The 360 will fit and work in your 64 with a few obstacles like engine balance and crankshaft/transmission pilot hole problems but I don't think there's anything that can't be conquered. If you have the time, look through my 273 build post. I wanted to keep my HP motor pretty stock when I rebuilt it 2 years ago and it runs pretty good. Depending on how far you want to go with your 273, a 4 barrel intake and carb and some good dual exhaust will make a difference. A bigger cam is fun too but because of the small size of the 273 and the lower compression, you can't go too big without hurting performance. Also if you keep the solid cam, there's not too many choices there. Keep us informed on what you do. toolmanmike

Attachments

• engine 296.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 157
Thanks for the advice all, and nice pics. The 273 has a crank from the 318 poly engines. To remedy the pilot hole difference when mating a 360 to the 4-speed, could a 318 poly crank also fit in a 360 ? Offset grinding for more cubes ? I'd like to have fun with a 360 in the car and use it as a daily driver before the time comes to tear it down and redo it. I'd also like to squeeze as much out of the 273 when redoing it. What are the options with crank grinding, compression, valve lift, etc. I'm not sure what to do with it yet as far as the engine. Also, the front frame rails are soft, and I'm debating replacing them or doing a straight axle conversion on the car. Restore it or go high performance ?

Thanks for the advice all, and nice pics. The 273 has a crank from the 318 poly engines. To remedy the pilot hole difference when mating a 360 to the 4-speed, could a 318 poly crank also fit in a 360 ? Offset grinding for more cubes ? I'd like to have fun with a 360 in the car and use it as a daily driver before the time comes to tear it down and redo it. I'd also like to squeeze as much out of the 273 when redoing it. What are the options with crank grinding, compression, valve lift, etc. I'm not sure what to do with it yet as far as the engine. Also, the front frame rails are soft, and I'm debating replacing them or doing a straight axle conversion on the car. Restore it or go high performance ?

The only issue will be if you want to re-use the stock 904. The torque converter snout is smaller than the 360 register at the back of the crank. You will either have to change the torque converter to a later version or mcahine a ring spacer so the smaller 904 verter snout will fit.

-
Back