64 Dart Gt (distributor Issues) *Ideas?

-

Colin.C

Reaction score
I recently replaced my Cap,Rotter,Condenser and Points.. but it still wont turn over.. it cranks but no fire.. i installed it all and fired fine but points where not set right so i re set them and then it wont start now... any suggestions?

Thanks,

It almost has to be "something you did"

The basics. Compression, Fuel, and Spark

Pull the coil wire, use the key to crank the engine and test for spark.

NONE?

Take your test light and hook to the coil NEGATIVE

Remove the cap, bump the engine until the points are open, and turn on the key. Light should be ON

Bump the engine, lamp should blink on/ off as points close

IF not, you are "in the area."

PROBABLY either the points are not gapped right, or you got the wire connection at the points/ condenser/ wire "leaned over" and shorted to ground.

It's possible but not likely that you have a bad condenser. "New" does not equal "good."

I have seen the black negitive wire ground out in the dist housing before, sometimes it can get pulled thru and ground out inside the housing. I had this problem before.

Thank you guys for the input, i will check all that stuff right now. i feel like i have already checked all that but it never hurts to double check. its just one of those mysteries that is making me and all my friends that are mechanics pull our hair out over cause its just so random and it makes no since. i will let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

So got it working, dumb dumb move on my part. Grounded the lead wire inside the dist.. and also was told the wrong point gapping on it as well.. got the right number and should have it rolling down the road shortly. Thanks for the help!

So got it working, dumb dumb move on my part. Grounded the lead wire inside the dist.. and also was told the wrong point gapping on it as well.. got the right number and should have it rolling down the road shortly. Thanks for the help!

Nice!!! I always use stock champion plugs, once timed, and of course a healthy timing chain, should have a good running motor.

-
Back