64 Dart Seat Input??

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of finishing up on my 64 Dart and it's time to start thinking about seats. Looking for advice on what seats to run. I have the stock buckets but they are heavy. Pics would help. Thanks

Man I would stay stock. They look nice when re-finished and I know that you can even get the origional seat covers! But man they are pricey.. What color are you think about going with and what color is the inside and outside of the car?

Im going with 66 buckets out of a cuda, but a 66 dart will work as well. they are a few pounds lighter then the 63-65s, and are narrower, giving you enough room for a center console.

centerconsole.jpg

I saw your post on BigBlockDart, and so I thought that I'd pitch in. You've done a lot of great work, and I hope you keep your stock look with either the original seats, or similar era Mopar seats. It's your car, but I've seen plenty of unfortunate interiors stuffed with bad Velour seats from import craps. My stock buckets are pretty damn comfortable...

Dodgenut64 said:
Im going with 66 buckets out of a cuda, but a 66 dart will work as well. they are a few pounds lighter then the 63-65s, and are narrower, giving you enough room for a center console.

Dude, that's killer information right there. I didn't know that the seats were narrower. I knew they were different. I've been thinking about running a center console out of a 66 A-body four speed car. But.....I'm running the factory seat also. They do way a ton, but I was going to runs some race buckets, but there were so uncomfortable that sold them.

Lee

Thansk guys. I have the stock buckets, they just need new buns and covers. the car is white and will have a blue interior

I just finished having a shop recover my front seats (with new buns I purchased from Legendary). I also had them install a headrest on each bucket seat, which required some modifications to the seat frame.

Blues65 said:
I just finished having a shop recover my front seats (with new buns I purchased from Legendary). I also had them install a headrest on each bucket seat, which required some modifications to the seat frame.

Thats a good idea, never thought of that

I owned a classic car when I was in high school, which came with headrests from the factory, but I ended up swapping the seats for units from an earlier model. The headrests were actually more intrusive, and the '55 seats that
I swapped in increrased interior space more than I ever imagined. As a passenger, headrests are great, but being the driver, you hardly ever use or notice them, I would not recommend having them added.

This is a 66 A-body. As you can see this was the first year of the full size center console. I noticed that the 66 seats had to be narrower while looking through a 66 brochure. There would be no way to fit a center console in a 63-65 car without swaping to 66 buckets. I like the 66 buckets better also because they have a hard metal back with chrome trim on the edge. Im gonna have to modify my rear seat in order to fit my Monaco console in my car. With it being extra long it goes in under the rear seat abit. I could either just change the rear seat frame a little so that it could fit, or try and find a monaco rear seat and follow what the factory did, making the rear seat look like split bucket like seats. The first ones easier, but the second one will look so much better. the last few pics are of the monacos rear seat. I guess the console wouldnt look too bad just cutting under my 64 rear seat, but i like the look of the partial buckets on the monaco rear seat.

18.jpg

22.jpg

console back to rear seat.jpg

df27_12_b.jpg

db30_12.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. Wow, even the back seat would have to be swapped out. I appreciate the photos.

Lee

I've got a set of 65 Valiant buckets in my 65 Dart wagon. I was thinking about adding a buddy seat but found there's not enough room between the seats for it. Will definitely have to check the spacing on a set of 66 Dart buckets I've got and just maybe that buddy seat will fit. If it all works, hopefully the new 65 seat covers I've got will fit with little or no mods on the 66 frames.

moparlee said:
Thanks for the pictures. Wow, even the back seat would have to be swapped out. I appreciate the photos.

Lee

Yeah, i was thinking if i could find a back seat out of a monaco that had this console, i could just cut both "bucket" areas down the middle and take the inches out there. the catch....custom skins. Im also kinda looking at 64-66 barracuda rear seats. the top section of those cut in like the lower section of the monaco seats. I got a way to go before i ever get to moding the interior of my car.

-
Back