64 Dart, Want new wheels

-
Reaction score
Hi, I have 13" x 4.5" 5x4 wheels. Will a 14" x 7" 5x4 work??? 14" x 6"??? Or, what can I put on this car??? Thanks

Wide 14" tires have pretty much gone the way of the stealth bomber (history). Consider 15" rims at a minimum.

Thanks, I think I could be more specific. asking. Can the car, as the rear end is set-up, handle 14 or 15s with out any modification?

The diameter of the wheels is not the issue. It's really about the width and diameter of the tires. As the wheels get bigger, you need to go to a lower aspect ratio tire to keep the diameter where it needs to be for the gearing and speedometer. I see people running 17" wheels with low profile tires, if you're into that sort of thing.

I don't really know what the limits are for these cars, although I'm very interested in what others have to say about that.

From what I've read, I know 205 mm width is safe. I think you can go up to a 215 mm width without problems. 225 mm is probably pushing it.

Overall diameter of less than 26" is a good place to be.

I'm planning to run 215/60/15 tires on 15x6 Cragars. That gives me a diameter pretty close to the factory size and about as much width as I can get without risk of rubbing.

I've been running a set of 205/60/14's that I got cheap on craigslist. They fit fine, and they get compliments, but I think they're too small.

On a 14" rim, lots of guys will run 205/70/14's which are 1.61" taller. But I guess 14" tires are getting harder to find.

Here's good tool for figuring this stuff out. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php

Thanks, I think I could be more specific. asking. Can the car, as the rear end is set-up, handle 14 or 15s with out any modification?

yes............ i have 17x7's w/4.25 bs 5x4 bolt pattern with no mods.........here's some pics......
higgs

Attachments

• my new wheels 2 053.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 191
  • my new wheels 2 029.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 181
  • my new wheels 2 007.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 191
  • my new wheels 2 030.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 186
oh, and after reading some of the other posts these are 26 inches tall.........
higgs

What's your engine/transmission/gear ratio combination? And how's it feel off the line and for highway cruising?

My tires are 23.7" diameter. I'm running a tired 273 with a 904 and 2.94 gears. It's OK off the line but a little buzzy on the freeway. 70 mph is fine, but 80 feels like the engine is revving more that it needs to. I'm looking forward to taller tires, but not sure how much taller.

What's your engine/transmission/gear ratio combination? And how's it feel off the line and for highway cruising?

My tires are 23.7" diameter. I'm running a tired 273 with a 904 and 2.94 gears. It's OK off the line but a little buzzy on the freeway. 70 mph is fine, but 80 feels like the engine is revving more that it needs to. I'm looking forward to taller tires, but not sure how much taller.

the motor is about a 375 horse 360, race prepped 904 w/manual valve body, 8 3/4 suregrip rear end w/3:91 cogs..............i just got these wheels on the car about a month ago and haven't had it on the highway yet..........but i have had it up to 60 on the local parkway.........leaves hard chirps 'em thru the gears........fun.........didn't mean to steal your thread, hope this helps guys...
higgs

when i got my american raing wheels for my barrracusa i had to special order was only 20.00 exrtra but it took 45 days to get them i think about and body will make you a set of what you want into todays world if cnc just take the time to look around

-
Back