64 GT motor swap

-

Claydart

MOPAR to the very bones
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well I pulled my slant this morning! Finally getting on with my project. Tomorrow I will pull the old center link and replace with the dropped link. Boy, that slant is tall! I had to get it halfway up and turn it sideways and drop it back down to get a better grip on it because my lift would not go high enough. I can't wait til I can finally install my 273. If I can figure out how to post pics, I will take a few of the installation and post them. It's been a long time coming, and I am so excited that I can finally get going!

Looks like you got a couple months head start on me there! I'm doing practically the same thing, 64 Dart, 225 slant, only I'm putting a 5.9 dressed up to look like a 273. I still need the right valve covers and air cleaner though.

0512181525.jpg

Yeah, Cause they are sooooooo TALL! But I didnt realize how tall, til I pulled it out.

Put LA valve covers on that 5.9 Magnum and use 1/2 the holes. Also get the right convertor bushing if using a pre 68 trans on a Magnum. Its 1/4" smaller than the 68 and newer crank pilot holes. The 5.9 Mag is also externally balanced so you'll need to get the balance right....

I don't have a lift. I will jack the rear end up and go in from the top with the whole thing- engine, trans. and all. I have to change out the center link, so I will remove the old one and put in the drive train, then replace the center link.

I don't have a lift. I will jack the rear end up and go in from the top with the whole thing- engine, trans. and all. I have to change out the center link, so I will remove the old one and put in the drive train, then replace the center link.
I had a guy at Mancini racing tell me that the center link may not need changed, but I have yet to verify that for myself. If that is the case however, it would be worth looking into to save a hundred bucks. I will find out in a few months myself.

-
Back