64 instrument cluster swap into a 65 barracuda harness question

-

Braunsteina

Reaction score
My 65 barracuda instrument cluster needs help. I purchased a 64 Cluster part number 2427427 and it had 9 pins on the connection to the board. Mine is 2496508 and it has 8 pins. I ohm'd out the 8 pin board as reference and see there are a few pins that must be swapped. But thinking about this I know that the Fuel gage, alternator, and temp are all in separate spots . That is how I know to swap a few pins when I pull the cluster currently in my car. The 64 cluster is in much better shape. Is there any difference in the 64 and the 65 clusters that I should know about. The 508 board is an older spare I used to just compare and make notes with. Any insight and help would be greatly appreciated. My speedo is dead beyond repair so that is why I am swapping clusters. I need a working one to drive the car. mine also goes up to 80 mph while all the others I have found go up to 120. I have a place called Tacoma Speed that will test the one I got in the cluster I am putting in and they will also provide an adaptor if I need it. I will then have the speedo and car calibrated together.

2427427.jpg

2496508.jpg

Most obvious difference I see, one has the mechanical inst' voltage limiter in a separate more common plug in can. ( That's the one where they put a board attach screw underneath the limiter. Foolish engineering in my opinion. ) anyway
The other panel has that limiter housed inside the fuel gauge. Whether that difference is relative to the extra wire difference or not, I can't say.

Most obvious difference I see, one has the mechanical inst' voltage limiter in a separate more common plug in can. ( That's the one where they put a board attach screw underneath the limiter. Foolish engineering in my opinion. ) anyway
The other panel has that limiter housed inside the fuel gauge. Whether that difference is relative to the extra wire difference or not, I can't say.
So will this make a difference is the only thing I would need to know. Will it cause me any problems if I were to just swap the pins for all the other components. I have a feeling the system will still function properly just by pinning out the system to match up the pins with relationship to the gauges and the limiter should still function properly. I agree that the design seems to be odd and foolish.

I really just don't know. Some panels have a single turn indicator like ( <-> ) where others have 2 separate indicators. I'm not sure how they wired the 1 bulb to flash with both left and right. I can't look at the boards alone and determine what bulb is for what, even if I could clearly see the copper traces on that 64 board. I would atleast need to see the fronts/bezels.
Only one I know inside and out is the 2nd gen' rallye panel. I have a complete 65 panel on hand but not a 64 :(
Bottom line, I couldn't finger it all out from here.

I really just don't know. Some panels have a single turn indicator like ( <-> ) where others have 2 separate indicators. I'm not sure how they wired the 1 bulb to flash with both left and right. I can't look at the boards alone and determine what bulb is for what, even if I could clearly see the copper traces on that 64 board. I would atleast need to see the fronts/bezels.
Only one I know inside and out is the 2nd gen' rallye panel. I have a complete 65 panel on hand but not a 64 :(

I took off the cover, it is the same there is a single indicator for the turn signal in the center of the instrument cluster. There are two pins for both boards. I am confident that the turn signal will not be an issue. I was thinking I can ohm out the leads from the connector plug and trace them using schematics from my manual. Color codes are visible and I even have a spare harness to use as well. I can trace those things in order to check points at the block on the firewall as well.
Thanks for your insight, I will do more research on my end.

-
Back