64 Valiant /6 wont idle

-

UDUST81

Reaction score
Hey everyone first off let me say thanks for the help, i appreciate it, well yesterday my dad calls me, says mom tried to take the valiant out yesterday and it kept dying on her, car is a 64 valiant 225, /6, push button 904, with no real modifications other than some sort of holley 1 barrel carb. for the 3 years theyve owned it the things been just the most reliable old car they, or frankly anyone ive known to ever have, turn the key and go.

well i get over there yesterday and you can start the car if you give it a bunch of gas, but if you take your foot of the gas pedal it will slowly idle down, and then die, if you put it in reverse or drive it will die faster, if you pump the gas over and over and over and start it, it will stay running without assistance for a very long time, then slowly die. any tips? we changed fuel filter, played with the idle screws, even swapped out the coil and ballast resistor, since i had extra laying around, in case it was some sort of electrical gremlin, although im pretty sure it is some sort of air fuel issue, perhaps something in the idle circut.

Anyways appreciate any help or tips you can offer thanks again!

Check the carb is tight and the intake gasket is in good shape.

$2 fuel filter would be my first test, pull the fuel line and bump start it into a can to see if you get good pulses of fuel. Next Id look at vacuum lines and the float level. Holley was stock on those. When its running and your furiously pumping the gas, have someone spray the top of the carb with carb cleaner to clean the air bleeds. If you try this when its not running, they tend to stay plugged with the melted gunk. you can also start spraying around the carb with a water bottle to listen for leaks, the idle will change when you spray the leak. check power brake booster and associated hoses too.

I'm just a clown with a frown but it sounds like it's starving for fuel.

Check the fuel pump outlet per Pishta. Check that the gas tank is venting, maybe try it without the gas cap.

It takes about 5 minutes to remove the carb. Make sure the float is not saturated with fuel though that would run rich I think. Without knowing any history I'd probably rebuild it and make recommended adjustments per the FSM.

On SSD's recommendation, I just ordered a rebuild kit for my "new" $18 EBay Carter 1967 Carter BBD from Daytona Parts. (386-427-7108) Not cheap at $42 but they're supposed to use parts compatible with today's gasahol. Since you don't know much about that particular carb, it's best to have the carb number in hand. The woman I talked to said their web site is not 100% correct so It's best to call.

It's going to end up on my own 1964 Valiant 225 (running fine with the stock Carter BBS now) but I wouldn't even think about using it until it's been gone through.

I had a similar problem with my 65 Barracuda 273 with carter AFB carb. It's not 100% yet but the main cause was a vacuum leak thru my brake booster. It' s out for rebuilding now. Do you have power Brakes? If not, look elsewhere for a vacuum leak. I agree with the approach of #4 . Also check your float levels and needle and valve seat.

just remembered something. Look at the booster in the carb when its crapping out. if its dribbling fuel, your carb is flooding and you have a float/seat issue. Saw that once or twice on my POS Demon Carb.......;-(

vacuum leak,water in fuel, dirty fuel filter.

First see this post and hit the links it contains.

Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

Tune-up parts and technique suggestions are in this thread, with cap/rotor discussion here (long thread but well worth it).

Once you fix the immediate issue, you might also want to read this.

My 64 Valiant 225 has a Carter BBS. I understand that was standard. Does yours have the rotating throttle rod? If a cable, someone surely changed it. The Holley 1920 is notorious for getting a clogged metering block and running lean. Also check the fuel hoses on the suction side (tank and fuel pump inlet) haven't softened from ethanol.

thanks for all the replies i didnt have a chance to look at it last night due to work i think ill try to look for a vacuum leak first if i can get to it tonight

My 64 Valiant 225 has a Carter BBS. I understand that was standard.

A '64 (actually a '62-'71 car) could have a Holley 1920 or a Carter BBS as original equipment depending on what was at hand on the production line at the moment any given engine was at the point of assembly when it was time to put on the carb.

-
Back