64 valiant brake adjuster screw?

-

Dustman73

Reaction score
When I was pulling the front brakes off of my valiant the adjuster screws were rusted enough that I broke a couple teeth off of the adjuster before I could get em loose.. so now I'm having trouble finding new ones.. what is the part number for the adjuster or a kit that includes the adjuster.. I believe they're 9 inch drums.. thanks in advance for any help guys!

It has been years since I have looked for any but they were offered new at Napa years ago. The only difference I remember was right and left the front and rear I think were the same.

I have a brake box of old items such as this-- it might be the weekend b4 i can dig it out-- surely some of them will be the 9" version,
please pm me as a reminder if you still need.

Lawrence

The Star Wheel assy. for early A body 9" brakes (front and back) is going to be Raybestos # H1523 (right side) and H1522 for the left side.

I you are replacing out everything, I understand that a complete 9" drum spring/adjuster/shoe/hold-down setup from a 1969 Valiant will retrofit into the early A and work better- but you can't mix and match.

Thanks guys! I found em by the part number you suggested phogroian! Thanks! And thank you to the rest of you, I think I'm set now!

If the adjusters were rusty, you should replace everything. Get a "hardware kit", which is adjuster, springs, etc. Costs ~$10 per axle at Autozone, at least my 10" drum one did. I got the later kit (~70+), since all that they had, plus I think it is improved anyway (adjuster design). These were hadly specific to Mopar. Look at Mustang drums of the same year and all will look familiar. Standard Bendix drum design. It is recommended to replace all hardware in a "brake job". The cable adjuster in my 69 Dart 9" drum broke years ago and scored the drum. Don't be cheap with brakes.

Billgrissom I think what I might do is just take all of my hardware to autozone and see what they have in a kit.. I know they dont have the parts listed but they may have it under a mustang or something..

Lookup for a 72 Dart w/ 9" drum brakes. Try Autozone's website. rockauto has more selection.

I went to autozone and got the newer style of adjusters for a 72 valiant.. I'm gonna give it a try.. my springs look nice still will they work with the newer style of adjusters? I haven't had a chance to check it out yet and if anyone has a pic of their drum brakes with the newer adjusters I would appreciate a visual.. or a link would be awesome.. I've ordered from rock auto a couple times and each time they sent the wrong part so I stay away from them now..

-
Back