65-66 Folmula S barracuda LCA w/Sway tab?????

-

xLURKxDOGx

"An angel fat, at satan's feast"
Reaction score
I have a set of LCA with sway bar tab but they dont look right to me considering all the info i was able to gather. The welds look sloppy and couldnt possible be from factory, plus the tabs are on the top rather than the bottom. I was getting everything ready for my engine swap and this could be a set back but i need to 100% sure what i have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!!!

Jake

Pics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133376992@N02/albums/72157659107013981

Those aren't early a lower control arms. They are for later cars.

Those aren't early a lower control arms. They are for later cars.

Thats what i thought. I would have to change evrything else to use these, correct?

Jake

You're not going to be able to connect a sway bar to those if you put those on an early a.

Lee is correct on both counts. And, as much as it may surprise, those ARE factory welds...

You could probably cut them off and reweld them on in the proper position. They may not be exactly like the early tabs, but that won't make much difference. If you are also installing disc brakes there may be clearance issues between the forward lower ball joint bolt (it can be reversed with the head on the back side) and the spindles and calipers can be swapped side to side so that the caliper in the back.

I think you need the correct early LCAs, without tabs. The tab is just a bar of metal with a hole in it -- any shop could fab it up, or you could cut them off these LCAs. You just need to confirm the location by installing the LCA in the car with the sway bar and end links. I'm surprised your sway bar kit didn't come with an LCA bracket.

You could probably cut them off and reweld them on in the proper position. They may not be exactly like the early tabs, but that won't make much difference. If you are also installing disc brakes there may be clearance issues between the forward lower ball joint bolt (it can be reversed with the head on the back side) and the spindles and calipers can be swapped side to side so that the caliper in the back.

Ok, thanks!! I was thinking i saw someone mentioned you could buy the tabs from manchini????

I think you need the correct early LCAs, without tabs. The tab is just a bar of metal with a hole in it -- any shop could fab it up, or you could cut them off these LCAs. You just need to confirm the location by installing the LCA in the car with the sway bar and end links. I'm surprised your sway bar kit didn't come with an LCA bracket.

I dont have the sway bar yet, there's on at the junkyard i was looking at but ive got a feeling theyre going to try to gouge me on it so i might as well just get the Hellwig 55914 and be done with it.

Jake

The Hellwig is a much stouter sway bar than the factory original. The kit also includes the bolt-on shock mounts to to install to the LCAs. I have the Hellwig but will be using it with factory LCAs with correct sway bar mount.

The Hellwig is a much stouter sway bar than the factory original. The kit also includes the bolt-on shock mounts to to install to the LCAs. I have the Hellwig but will be using it with factory LCAs with correct sway bar mount.

Would this work as a cheaper alternative while still using the LCA's i have or will it not bolt up to the Kframe???

Jake

Would this work as a cheaper alternative while still using the LCA's i have or will it not bolt up to the Kframe???

Jake

The Hellwig requires a minor mod to the K Frame and works with either their mounts which bolt to the shock absorber hardware or a factory 65-72 lower control arm. WILL NOT work with the 73-76 LCAs. Last I checked the least expensive place to buy the early A Hellwig was Amazon at about $240 or so.

We used the Hellwig sway bars from Just Suspension for our 71 Valiant and it came with sway bar tabs that piggy back off the lower shock bolt if you don't have the factory tabs on the lower control arm...

The Hellwig requires a minor mod to the K Frame and works with either their mounts which bolt to the shock absorber hardware or a factory 65-72 lower control arm. WILL NOT work with the 73-76 LCAs. Last I checked the least expensive place to buy the early A Hellwig was Amazon at about $240 or so.

We used the Hellwig sway bars from Just Suspension for our 71 Valiant and it came with sway bar tabs that piggy back off the lower shock bolt if you don't have the factory tabs on the lower control arm...

Thanks guys!!! Ill just go with the 55914 and save myself the trouble.

Jake

-
Back