65 A-body axle flip?

-

Denny65GT

Reaction score
I have a 65 dart with 8.75 on top of the leaf springs. This car sets real low and I am wanting to raise the car. Can I get new u-bolts and "flip" my axle and put it under the springs? And are all a bodies have the axle on top? I know that I could get "SS" springs and new coil overs,but I have a few other thing to do before I start on complete rear rebuild.

How high do you want to go? Stock height??? Air shocks or coil-overs will give you a few inches of lift. You cant just flip an axle over, for several reasons. If you really want to go under the springs, you'll have to weld on another set of perches.

Thinking I want to go higher than stock. not wanting to go with air shocks at all. But my car could use a good 4-5 inches. But like I say just trying to do it cheap while I have other issues to spend $ on before I start to rebuild the rear end.

Well, here's the height I got "back-in-the-day" with air shocks and the T-Bars cranked up.....Man, does this pic bring back memories....circa 1975

Attachments

• DadsSatelliteCropFlip (Medium).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 214
That does look very tough! I like it. Just don't want a terrible ride I know air shocks won't be as smooth as regulars shocks. Thanks for the info.

Actually, it rode pretty good...not "Cadillac good", mind you! I didn't really build it to ride good or carve corners. 383 basically stock inside, HUGE cam. tunnel ram w/2-Holley 600's. (It was the 70's after all!) Wouldn't do anything out of the hole, but 3k to 7k rpm...it was a screamer!!! yeeooouuuhhh!

If you plan on flipping the axle, you better be prepared to reset the pinion angle, and in this case, I don't even know if it can be done with wedges or not. Why not find a used set of A-body leaf springs and pirate a leaf for each side to bring it up some! It also looks like your front end is way up there also, how bout dialing down the torsion bars some?? Your steering geometry OK??

I think you can dial this in a little for now, and get setup later when you plan to rebuild!! Geof

I think mancini +1" springs are only like $300 shipped.
Do it the right way, if that is your car in your sig, it will most likely jump up a bunch in height.

I learned from running demolition derby years ago do not flip it for a street car. It spins opposite and will not work. You can however cut the perches and weld them on the other side as others here said.

If you plan on flipping the axle, you better be prepared to reset the pinion angle, and in this case, I don't even know if it can be done with wedges or not. Why not find a used set of A-body leaf springs and pirate a leaf for each side to bring it up some! It also looks like your front end is way up there also, how bout dialing down the torsion bars some?? Your steering geometry OK??

I think you can dial this in a little for now, and get setup later when you plan to rebuild!! Geof

I really don't think my geometry is very good. I have an extra k frame I'm getting ready to rebuild that's on my priority list as of now. Although the car in the pic is sitting on a slight hill.

ESPO--- Spring N Things I believe will make A Body springs up to 3” lift from stock, their prices are reasonable, but you have to call for A Body pricing.

If your springs are old I’d bet that they are sagging 2 or three inches. Replacing springs would be a lot better fix than adding a set of mount busting air shocks to old sagging worn out springs.

http://www.springsnthings.com/

Just looking at the pic, I'd say your torsion bars are cranked WAY up!! That alone is gonna mess you up in the front. They're simply not designed to just crank up, it changes so many things. When my Dad was racing his 70 Roadrunner back in the early 70's, the hot ticket for Mopar racers was to dial the torsion bars way up to offset the weight distribution to the rear wheels. It worked for straight line performance, but was horrible to drive and even turn on the street. Did guys do it?? Of course, but they didn't have "Lindsay" zipping in front of them while texting "Kaitlyn" and putting on makeup at the same time, and crotching a Starbucks to boot!!!

If it were my project, I would get this car back to near stock, then work in small, correct increments to achieve your desired effect. The re-arched springs mentioned above would certainly be $$ well spent, and if you don't have the $$ to plunk down for them, save up and wait until you do before you try something very wrong!!! JMO of course, Geof

-
Back