65 A body transmission?

-
Like Bill said, you have to beat the snot out of the pinchweld lip in the tunnel. You know, just down from the engine compartment....where the bottom of the firewall ends and the floor pan are welded together. It's pretty tight, but a 727 will fit. The mount on a 727 is in the same place as a 904. The tailshaft is longer, and it kinda creates an optical illusion. Honestly, I've never had a cable shifted Torqueflite that didn't cause me some kind of problem. If it were my car, I'd do like someone suggested earlier in the thread. Get a later 904 with a slip yoke, and buy one of the conversion cables from Imperial Services to hook your pushbutton controls to the shift lever on the newer 904. Either that, or find a column shift steering column and linkage from a 66 Dart of Valiant, and bolt it all up. I even took a Slapstick shifter out of a crashed 74 Challenger once, and installed it in a 65 Cuda that I put a small block 727 in. I got brackets and all, and it was a cinch to put in. The hardest part was cutting the hole in the floor for the big linkage shaft to go thru. You could do the same with any 66 and up A-body console shift stuff. Then you could run a cable from your old Park lever to a remote hood latch off a later model Mopar, to have a stealthy theft deterrent! :glasses7:

Like Bill said, you have to beat the snot out of the pinchweld lip in the tunnel. You know, just down from the engine compartment....where the bottom of the firewall ends and the floor pan are welded together. It's pretty tight, but a 727 will fit. The mount on a 727 is in the same place as a 904. The tailshaft is longer, and it kinda creates an optical illusion. Honestly, I've never had a cable shifted Torqueflite that didn't cause me some kind of problem. If it were my car, I'd do like someone suggested earlier in the thread. Get a later 904 with a slip yoke, and buy one of the conversion cables from Imperial Services to hook your pushbutton controls to the shift lever on the newer 904. Either that, or find a column shift steering column and linkage from a 66 Dart of Valiant, and bolt it all up. I even took a Slapstick shifter out of a crashed 74 Challenger once, and installed it in a 65 Cuda that I put a small block 727 in. I got brackets and all, and it was a cinch to put in. The hardest part was cutting the hole in the floor for the big linkage shaft to go thru. You could do the same with any 66 and up A-body console shift stuff. Then you could run a cable from your old Park lever to a remote hood latch off a later model Mopar, to have a stealthy theft deterrent! :glasses7:

I have a 63 dart, slant, well last year a friend gave me a slant longshaft cable trans, it has pushbutton cables, . it is 904 but the trans mount location was further back. so I found a correct 904 for the car...... this beast could have come out of a C body, .....

( just yesterday), i saw a "survivor" 65 Fury wagon, 25 col shift. if the B and A body tarns had the trans mount in the same place, then this trans i'm talking about is out of C body......?? no doubt.....

I have put many cars together but what few cable shift cars I've had years back, came complete, running, driving!!! yes, I admit these cables give me a headache!!!!!! and yes, I have the FSM. a member sent a puter link to some addition info on how to adjust the, and that was great. ( back someone here).

I admit I,m NOT a purist but I like to keep my cars pretty stock as to the trans and shifter mechanisn, and the price and everything else NEG, about Imperial makes me not want to spent the $190 plus postage for the cable!

I understand about keeping shifters the same. If you do decide to use the small block 65 cable shift, slip yoke 727 in your 64....you may have to use the "Rooster Comb" that is for pushbutton cables. The rooster combs for pushbutton cable, column shift cables, and floor shift cables are all different, if I remember correctly. I think 904, and 727 valve bodies are pretty much interchangeable, so a rooster comb from a 64 pushbutton may work in the 65 727, if you decide to use that. I feel your pain, for sure! I had one of the nicest 64 Belvedere wagons on the planet, and I was ready to light it on fire and push it over the bank, all because of the cable shift transmission I had in it. It was a factory 318 Poly, with a small block pushbutton 727. I put a 65 slip yoke, big block 727 in it. The 5th time I had that transmission out because it wouldn't work right....I said "F it!" I had a newer 727 built, and added a column shift steering column out of a 68 Roadrunner to it, and went on down the road. I wish you the best of luck, and hope it goes very easy for you. :prayer: :D

-
Back