65 Barracuda carpeting question...

-

65LoveAffair

Whovian
Reaction score
How available is OEM style carpeting for a 1965 Barracuda? I went yesterday and looked at the Fish I'm picking up soon, and it had black carpeting in the front and faded gold in the trunk area.

I'm assuming the gold is the original carpet because the current owner told me that the black carpeting was installed not too long ago. I'm just curious because I want to take this back as original as I can. And would a Fish with gold colored carpeting really have black seats? Or were those replaced too?

I think I just need to get the trim code off the fender tag (assuming it's still there, it was covered by a fender guard and a battery charger when I was looking at it) and just go from there.

Carpet for 64-66 Cuda's is readily available from Auto Custom Carpets, who supplies carpet for most of the bigger interior companies like Legendary. It is a 9 piece set that includes all of the rear cargo areas precut as well as the rear seat back and floors. Gold is a pretty common color so it should be easy to find. What isn't easy is the price...$400.00+. I am pretty sure that if the seats are black they have either been replaced or recovered at one time if the car originally came with a gold interior. You should be able to assertain the original color of the interior by simply looking at the dash color and upper door trim color as well as the trim color of the cargo area. Very few people will take the time and effort to change the dash color due to the difficulty in removing and stripping all of the components just to paint the frame. Years ago this just wasn't done, but since the restoration craze hit in the 90's you find this being done more and more.

Back when I got my first 66 Cuda, I was as green as the trees about what parts I would need and the amount of work ahead of me, so on one of my first trips to the Nats I decided to buy the carpet set. The price back in the early 90's???.... $99.00!!! It took me 10 years of rebuilding that first 66 (the blue one in my avatar) before I got to the carpet installation. By then the price had shot up to $239.00, which I thought was ridiculous!!! I was probably the only one to even buy a set in the 90's, as no one was even thinking about the early A's back then. A stroke of luck on my part I guess. I call it forward thinking!!!LOL!!! Good luck with the project, Geof

Jesus christ. I just checked the price and it's $706 for the complete kit?!?!?!!! :( That happens to be out of my price range as well. :(

You should be able to assertain the original color of the interior by simply looking at the dash color and upper door trim color as well as the trim color of the cargo area. Very few people will take the time and effort to change the dash color due to the difficulty in removing and stripping all of the components just to paint the frame. Years ago this just wasn't done, but since the restoration craze hit in the 90's you find this being done more and more.

That's the funny thing. The entire front interior of the car is black. Black door panels, black seats, black carpets, black dash, everything. BUT the trunk area is gold, as is the back of the rear seat. The rear seat was down and I never got a chance to push it up to check the condition/color of the rear seat. I think the previous owner just couldn't make up his mind.

And as I've checked out the carpeting sites that I've found, and the ones you guys have offered, I see all kinds of listings for the 4 speeds and the automatics, but my car is a 3 on the tree and does not have a console. I don't know which carpeting I'm going to need. I don't want a big gaping hole in the middle of whatever I do buy that is supposed to fit down over a center console that I don't have.

Rockauto.com sells ACC carpet and it is relatively inexpensive in comparison to some of the other sites.

I went back to your other thread about the car and looked at the interior pics and I thought...good, at least the interior is black. But now with this gold rear cargo area I'm as confused as you!!! I guess the original owner is going to have to shed some light on this subject. In the end, I think this will be a preference call on your part, gold...black...chartreuse...whatever you decide, it's gonna be your car after all!!! Geof

At this stage, considering the majority of the interior is black, I think it would probably be easier (and cheaper) to keep the black interior. I'll see what I can find out once I see the fender tag and figure out the trim code. Thanks again!

After looking at another thread on this site, it apparently wasn't unheard of to have a Barracuda with black trim and carpeting in the front and gold carpeting in the back.

If you check this thread, http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=148009, the fender tag for this Barracuda clearly shows that it should have a black interior, but it still has gold carpeting in the trunk area. Granted, I know this one is a 66, and mine is a 65 and it could have been put in after the fact, but it is still weird. Has anybody else come across a car like this?

Congrats on getting a cuda. I don't remember seeing a thread about it. Is it franks or did you find another floating around decatur. I know a red one was for sale in hammond and a white one has been popping up in various small towns like warrensburg. Send me a pm if you need any pointers or just want another set of eyes on something. I can swing down by the st marys area easy enough. And I have a pair of 65 valiants for comparision purposes including some spare parts that I maybe willing to part with.

And the best people in town to deal with for old car parts is auto accesory on the corner of wood and jasper. Dust and sons on prairie street aren't bad, but auto accessory is better. A few years back I got a reman dizzy from them that was wrapped in a newspaper from 1974.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people realize this is Frank's car. I don't actually have it yet. He hasn't decided that he wants to part with it yet. He told me that when he does, I'd be the first person he called. That was two years ago, and I finally got to see it a year ago. We'll see what happens. If nothing else, this has definitely taught me patience!

Bought the carpet for the 66 "S" in 1987 from ACC . Back area was not available , carpet by shifter was not available. They do have good quality and when one set was cut too narrow they sent another right away and did not want the other set back. All of the ACC carpet I have installed you cut for the floor shifter so with the 3 sp you should not have any problem.

I bought mine from Dante's. Good price, great service and really nice people to deal with. Mine is gold and I think it was around 400 last year. The only part I can't find is the gold headliner. There are shades of gold, but no match for the original.

-
Back