65 Barracuda column shift

-

65LoveAffair

Whovian
Reaction score
I will be honest, I don't know that much about A bodies. Did Plymouth make a manual trasmission for the 65 Barracuda that used a column shift? If so, which was more common, a column shift manual or column shift automatic? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

They made a column shift 3 speed but I don't remember ever seeing a column auto that year. I guess you could make one as the Darts and Valiants had them. All the '65 Barracuda automatics I've had were floor shift.

I used to think the automatics were all floor shift too, but I think I saw a collumn shift automatic somewhere on this site.

They made a column shift 3 speed but I don't remember ever seeing a column auto that year. I guess you could make one as the Darts and Valiants had them. All the '65 Barracuda automatics I've had were floor shift.

This is correct, 3 on the tree was standard but column shift automatics were not available in the 64 or 65 Barracuda, I have seen a few that were converted to column shift though. I did it to my dads 65 back in the 80's

Okay, one more question. Well, for now anyway. Would a manual transmission be more likely to be mated to a /6 or the 273? Or is there really no way to know unless the car is in front of me? The reason for these questions is I found out the 65 Barracuda that I am first in line for (if the guy ever decides to get rid of it) is a column shift. That is all I know about it other than the year. I'm just trying to figure out the odds for what else the car has in it. Thanks again in advance.

A 3 on the tree car that year is most likely to have the 6cyl but just about anything could have been ordered.

1964 was the last year for the push buttons. The cable shift was still used in 1965, then they went to mechanical linkage in 1966.

-
Back