65 Barracuda trunk piece question

-

taxspeaker

Reaction score
I am in the middle of a complete interior restoration on my 65. It has 42,000 original miles, and very very little rust (no floor or trunk pan replacements needed!) but the carpet and seats were a mess. In the trunk I ordered a replacement spare tire cover but there are 2 fiberboard pieces that I am not sure of. I think (?) they go at the back of the trunk and are covered with carpet and screwed to the rear inside trunk panel. But they look like they have been cut, and they might go on the sides of the trunk. I do not want to throw them away but I do want to make new ones if they were original. Can anyone tell me for sure where they go and were they carpeted and original? The carpet pack I got from Legendary has a long piece of carpet that I cannot figure out where it goes and it might just wrap the back inside tail panel.

Thanks

Attachments

• Trunk Pieces 65 Rally Pack Cuda.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 215
If I were a gamblin' man, I would bet those went down the sides of the trunk so your luggage wouldnt bounce around in the trunk and dent your fenders. see the angles end, That must go over the wheel well, bt I cant explain why the other ends are notched, they should almost be rounded to match the contour where the light sockets are. If you stick them in there, Im sure you can guess how they go in there. I have these huge voids in my trunk where the jack goes (driver side) and where my battery sits (right side) where all kinds of thinks can roll back into and disappear.

Yeah I originally thought wheel wells too-but they fit better in the back valance panel to protect the taillights, and it is evident someone cut them at some point-there are pencil maskrs on them! Thanks
Bob

Goes to the very rear of the trunk... Not carpeted, but painted same color (and same material) as your front interior "kick panels"... It's, One piece, going around the trunk lock/latch area and nearly full width of trunk... and just dips down under tail light assemblies... And fits in that rolled over lip on top of the panel... Held on by TWO chrome screws (1 on each side) Plus plastic latch cover helps hold it on !!!

Clif of Az.:coffee2:

Not a great pic, but...

Attachments

• 65Trunk_Rear.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 226
-
Back