'65 Barracuda

-

65meanFISH

Reaction score
I'm a new poster here, so hi to the rest of you! Now to the point of my thread. I have a '65 Barracuda sitting in storage about 160 miles from here. Right now I'm thinking about the options, what I can do with it. I was thinking about doing it original, or do some fancy mods to it. Time for its history, the previous owner bought it from some guy(I'll call him Jon), no idea of how much he bought it for, I'm guessing it wasn't too cheap, but I can't be for sure. So Jon did some pricey work on the car. He converted the front drums to disc, new leaf springs, front steering was redone, new brake booster, dropped in an old strong 4bbl 318 with edelbrock intake, carb, and air cleaner, replaced the coils on the rear, and he stripped the interior. So Jon did some decent work on this. When I bought it, I pretty much bought the parts and the car itself was basically free. Now I'm here to ask you guys how much it would be, how would I do it, and where can I get the parts to do a 4 spd conversion and independent suspension?

I've searched online before for an early A body Cuda with independent suspension and came up with nothing. I'm definitely sure the ride would be super smooth, but I just have no idea how I would do it. I wonder if this is unheard of. If it is, I'd definitely love to be the first or one of the first to do it. Noticed the Keisler ads on the forum, so definitely going to look into that. I'll be sure to let you all know how it turns out when I start and finish. Cheers!

I have a 65 with small block had a 66 with nicely done 318. One, no coils in rear springs only. You can add a leaf spring to make it stiffer. Why independent suspension, you can change all bushings to polygraphite and will ride very nice. Also front and rear sway bars. My 65 is formula s with converted disc brakes on front and rebuilt front end, it rides very nice with manual steering also. I would put it back together and enjoy it for what it is a classic cruiser...In its day it was a good handling car and was used for road racing. Do not overthink project as there is a limit to what can be done to early a bodies, no aftermarket parts or kits and to manufacture new parts is expensive. My 65 ran low 16's at track this summer with small rear, my 66 ran low 14's with built 318 and 8.75 rear. To go fast rear is the weak link my current car has 7.25 rear and I must be careful not to blow it up. I had trans built to go fast and motor is modest 318, I would like to find/convert a bigger rear down the road but saving to do body and paint first. My current 65 has new front end, rebuilt motor, trans and rear all done for about 6k, it runs great and is reliable for daily driving if needed. I want to go back to bracket racing and street driving later but want to make it look better first. Do one thing at a time and you will be happy....I am having fun and enjoy driving my old car past riceburners on highway!

Very nice! Do you know where I can find a kit for the sway bars? I heard the Cuda was slower with manual steering, but I have power steering so that wouldn't matter. That's exactly what I'm doing. Bringing it back to life, upgrading it, and taking a sweat cruise. Yeah, I could imagine parts would be expensive. Super expensive compared to Mustang parts. You got some fast little fish. How much is everything costing you? Thinking about doing my Cuda in red and handing the keys to my father. He's only 43 and I'm 20, so I think it would be a super nice long lasting gift that he can use until he finally kicks the bucket.

pst suspension technologies has all the parts you will need, look them up online. I have used them in past and was very happy with parts and results. Manual sterring doesnt effect how fast it goes just makes getting out of parking space harder. When going it handles very nicely not an issue at all. I can steer with one finger on highway, just tougher when going slow...and it doesnt matter at all in quarter mile!

Welcome 65meanfish, good to have you here. You're amongst friends now, relax and enjoy the site. And...pictures are always a plus!!! Geof

Welcome meanfish lots of good info and helpful folks on here don't be afraid to ask questions. I have a 66 cuda 273, auto, factory air car, all polygraphite bushings, rebuilt suspension, SSBC disk conversion, 14 inch rally wheels, flowmaster duals. Our plan is full rotisory restoration back to stock looking with mildly built 273,lowered suspension,true dual 2.5 chambered muffler exhaust. Not a race car just a dependible cruser/show car.

pst suspension technologies has all the parts you will need, look them up online. I have used them in past and was very happy with parts and results. Manual sterring doesnt effect how fast it goes just makes getting out of parking space harder. When going it handles very nicely not an issue at all. I can steer with one finger on highway, just tougher when going slow...and it doesnt matter at all in quarter mile!
I'll definitely check them out. Good man.

Thanks to the rest of you for the sweet links. I'll definitely be shopping around and I'm very glad I came here.

Welcome meanfish lots of good info and helpful folks on here don't be afraid to ask questions. I have a 66 cuda 273, auto, factory air car, all polygraphite bushings, rebuilt suspension, SSBC disk conversion, 14 inch rally wheels, flowmaster duals. Our plan is full rotisory restoration back to stock looking with mildly built 273,lowered suspension,true dual 2.5 chambered muffler exhaust. Not a race car just a dependible cruser/show car.
Where can you find parts for the AC? I think my car is factory AC too, but it's missing the parts for it aside from some big vents I found in the trunk. And I'd love to see pics of your fish.

-
Back