65 barracuda

-

65cooda

Reaction score
I have a 65 barracuda that has it’s original 225 /6 3 spd on column. I am debating on swapping it over to a 383 4 spd. What are the issues with doing this? I know that you can find the mounts,will I have problems with it fitting? I have an 8 3/4 A body rearend for it. Besides throwing money at it what other issues? Thanks

Early A are not good candidates for a big block swap. You better have some mad fabrication skills! 65'

My suggestion would be to do a small block swap. All the parts are readily available and if you're handy, can be done on a budget. 65'

My suggestion would be to do a small block swap. All the parts are readily available and if you're handy, can be done on a budget. 65'
Thanks I am not real handy but I have some really handy Mopar guys to help me I have a couple of small blocks in my shop that I could use the reason I was thinking big block

at least you're looking at fitting a 383 not a 440. i put a 440 in a 65 dart and headers were real tight, but a 383 should be ok.
neil.
I had a 67 dart several years ago that the previous owner put a 383 in. Of course it was a manual steering and brake car so it didn’t have those taking up room,and it had reg exhaust manifold.

I had a 67 dart several years ago that the previous owner put a 383 in. Of course it was a manual steering and brake car so it didn’t have those taking up room,and it had reg exhaust manifold.
i'm in the middle of putting a 383 in my 68 valiant, that's a power brakes, power steering car. it's got a/c too but i'll fit a smaller sanden compressor and i've lowered the alternator so it can go above it on the pass' side. it's close here and there but the schumacher headers fit a treat.
neil.

The two inch difference between fenderwells for a 65 to a 67 is enough to make the big block into an early A quite an undertaking. Exhaust is a big hurdle to clear. We custom built headers which was a long trial and error process. The distributor up front is one plus though. The additional weight for a big block is just enough to be a noticable con as well. With the power and torque available from a stroked small block (which is almost a bolt in swap) I would recommend that route unless you just can't get past a strong desire to have a big block

The two inch difference between fenderwells for a 65 to a 67 is enough to make the big block into an early A quite an undertaking. Exhaust is a big hurdle to clear. We custom built headers which was a long trial and error process. The distributor up front is one plus though. The additional weight for a big block is just enough to be a noticable con as well. With the power and torque available from a stroked small block (which is almost a bolt in swap) I would recommend that route unless you just can't get past a strong desire to have a big block
agreed, i'm only going big block again as it was cheap and available. plus this time it's a 383 not a 440 and it's a 68 not a 65 so i gain space both ways. but yes given the choice and considering price i'd fit a 318 with a 390 stroker kit. a 318 is much cheaper than a 360 and only 18 cubic inches less with the same 4" stroker crank. a no brainer for me.

I know you talking about a big block, but I think a stroked small block would come out cheaper and make just as much power and your car won't handle like a nose heavy pig!

I know you talking about a big block, but I think a stroked small block would come out cheaper and make just as much power and your car won't handle like a nose heavy pig!
I already have a built 383 that i took out of another car so that would greatly reduce my cost. I appreciate your input

RB in mine. Still have to fabricate the headers.

IMG_3239.JPG

IMG_3241.JPG

It's not bolt in, and the mounts are the easiest part. Mine is "down" and "back" because I wanted it that way. Will need the offset master cylinder adaptor, and custom headers. I've modified the K frame and transmission crossmember significantly to get it where I wanted. Plus flattened the firewall pinch. Valve covers can come off without issues with the M/C or blower motor.

These guys speak from experience, they know what they're talking about on this one.

But "I just want a big block A Body" is certainly a valid reason to dive into that project anyway! Stuffing a 360 in there would be worlds easier, cheaper, possibly even make it faster, but none of that matters if you're not happy with it.

-
Back