65 cuda Interior Advice

-

R0K3_B3aRd

Man with a Master plan.
Reaction score
I got a 65 barracuda and Im redoing my interior. I got to removing all the carpet and seats but now I'm stuck. This is my first resto which is why I'm asking how to. I don't want to remove the dash for now i just want to do the floor first. I want to rhino liner it then put the carpet but if somethings better or easier than rhino what is it?. I also want to do the panels as you can see but i don't know what will make it look new again. I don't have much rust but i don't want any. SO my question is what sand paper do i need and after that what else do i need to do. Some advice please I'm doing this all my self in my backyard.Ive been trying to look up videos but none of them are the full interior restore. My friend was telling me about steel wool and with clorox and water would take off the rust on the doors but idk if he's right or not..I know its asking a lot but i would really appreciate it Thanks

interior-1-jpg.1714809616

View attachment interior 1.jpg

interior-2-jpg.1714809617

View attachment interior 2.jpg

interior-3-jpg.1714809618

View attachment interior 3.jpg

interior-4-jpg.1714809619

View attachment interior 4.jpg

interior-6-jpg.1714809620

View attachment interior 6.jpg

interior-5-jpg.1714809621

View attachment interior 5.jpg

interior-7-jpg.1714809622

View attachment interior 7.jpg

interior-8-jpg.1714809623

View attachment interior 8.jpg

interior-9-jpg.1714809624

View attachment interior 9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For your particular job I would use a wire brush attached to a grinder. For the floor and doors probably looking at one days work. The you could put down your rhino liner down on a clean and etched surface to bond to.

like he said, wire cup on a right angle grinder. if all rust is then removed?, I personally would treat the floor with an epoxy primer, then an oil based enamel like you get at the hardware store. I would scuff that before applying the liner or it may not stick???

there are many ways to attach the problem. and yes the steel wool will clean the chrome stripes in there, NOT the floor!

if your lazy, get a $20 bottle of evapo-rust and put a dishtowel down over that rust area. Pour the evapo-rust on the towel so its soaked (put a pan under so as to catch any runoff $$$) and cover with a glad trash bag-wait overnight. It must stay wet. Pull towel up and the floor will be free of rust wherever the soaked towel was. Wring the towel back into the bottle and start again. That mettalic insulation from HD works great for under your sleeping bag, but the heavy rubber pliable mat they sell is better for sound deadening but heavier, weighs about 40 lbs.

I tried the wire but this is the most i could do is it enough or not?? I now know i got to cut the bottom of the trunk off and found holes on the rear panels like normal ones. I cleaned all the black goo off the cracks and stuff but I'm not sure if its enough. I was too scared that i was going to go through the car with my grinder so i did what i could

interior-after-1-jpg.1714809700

View attachment interior after 1.jpg

interior-after-2-jpg.1714809701

View attachment interior after 2.jpg

interior-after-3-jpg.1714809702

View attachment interior after 3.jpg

interior-after-4-jpg.1714809703

View attachment interior after 4.jpg

interior-after-5-jpg.1714809704

View attachment interior after 5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a DA sander? Have a GOOD air compressor? 80 grit on DA and sand the heck of it. And get a die grinder with 3M sanding discs. good luck. MT Or you can use a electric DA sander. Dewalt makes a good one or Harbor freight has one. Not so good but works.

-
Back