-
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffrey356

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
I have a '65 dart slant 6 w/ 225 ci engine. My mechanic gave up. He couldn't fix my problem. I need the 1 barrel Holley carb well type choke thermostatic coil spring and connecting rod. This part mates to the block common to the exhaust manifold and connects to the choke lever on the carb. It could be frozen. Not sure. The mechanic rebuilt carb, but problem still exists. Idles fine, but stalls when you mash accelerator. Makes sucking sound and then dies. jeffrey356.

Ok, you're obviously new to all this...none of what you said really makes any sense.
Is your problem that the car will start and run on the choke, but the not be able to idle once it warms up?
If so, you've got the super common clogged idle passage syndrome. Common to both the Carter BBS and Holley 1920...same issue, different fixes.

Ok, you're obviously new to all this...none of what you said really makes any sense.
Is your problem that the car will start and run on the choke, but the not be able to idle once it warms up?
If so, you've got the super common clogged idle passage syndrome. Common to both the Carter BBS and Holley 1920...same issue, different fixes.
You're right, this all new to me. After doing my homework I found that I need a '65 225 c.i. slant six well type choke thermostatic coil spring with conecting rod. This coil spring and housing mate with the block common to the exhaust manfold. There is a connecting rod that leads to the choke lever on the Holley 1920. The answer to your question is no. The car will idle fine, but as soon as I punch the accelerator it stalls. I listened to the carb when I do this and it sounds like it's flooding or starving for fuel. Can't quite tell. It makes a big sucking sound and then stalls. I just got it back from mechanic because they gave up on it. I will watch the coil spring today and have more info for you. They rebuilt the carb and still had the problem. I wonder if it could be the 50 year old fuel pump. They said it was outputting 5 lbs, but I don't believe they checked it. Anyway, I've ordered a new holley and fuel pump, but still need that coil spring that mates to the cylinder wall common to exhaust manifold. Any info would be great. jeffrey356.

That choke spring only affects the carb performance until the engine is warmed up. And during warm up the pull off will pull it open if it's stuck and you floor it. Sounds more to me like an accelerator pump circuit issue or float setting issue. Or both.

I agree the problem is the Accelerator pump bad/out of adjustment.

With engine off & air cleaner removed- Hold the choke butterfly open, look down the carb throat, and activate the the throttle linkage. If you don't see a healthy squirt of gas in that throat as you throttle it.... the fuel mixture will become lean from that big gulp of air, and it will fall on its face and die about every time.

On a 1920, you either bend the linkage, or move the linkage arm to another hole to adjust the volume of the squirt (Its been a while, I don't remember which).

Post what you find...

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back