65 Dart/Big Block/Cooling

-

JimsOnit

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Jim, new to this thread and building a 65 Dart GT, Big Block 400, RMS AlterKtion/Street Lynx, Moser 9", etc...
Awaiting shift and kick down cables (ordered).
Going to rewire, Painless Harness/Kit.
Get the AC to work
Finish plumbing the brakes and fuel this week.

Looking for Tech Advise on cooling 450hp in the very, limited space available. I'm probably overthinking this a bit but... I started looking at radiators that will fit the Dart Core Support opening. with the belt driven pump and a fan, I have 5" from the fan mounting surface to the humps in the core support (radiator flange mounts). Install one of the available radiators and a fan and it's close, really close, on the tape. So I ordered an electric pump and gained about a 1/2", now I need a radiator and electric fan(s) to fit and provide adequate cooling... Looking for Ideas, Recommendations, Experiences.

Took a Bite from the Bullet, just ordered from a radiator/fan combo from Griffith. They did not list the 65 Dart so asked about a 65 Barracuda, early A Bodies would have the same core support right? Guessing that the worst case scenario would be that I drill a couple more holes.

Right?

Welcome to FABO.Yes you would be correct about the 65 Barracuda rad support being the same.Post some pics of your car,when you get time.

It would take some engineering but you might switch to pusher-type fans. The latch support is "right there" but I'm sure it could be modified to fit some fans in front.

It would take some engineering but you might switch to pusher-type fans. The latch support is "right there" but I'm sure it could be modified to fit some fans in front.

Thanks and yes, I looked at putting the fans "out front", best option there would have been two pushers, one on either side of the latch support. But then... I'm not sure I mentioned that the car is an A/C car, and I live on the coast in Mississippi, No A/C is not really an option for this "Old, Fat, Bald Guy".
SO...
I called Griffith Radiators, after detailing what I'm building, B/RB 400/450hp, we looked at a custom build, then I wondered if they had one in the "Exact Fit" (a bolt in) for the Dart. Used their pull downs to find a Dart BUT nothing listed. After scratching my head, then my arse, for a moment I thought, "Which other A Bodies might they list?" They do list a 65 Plymouth Barracuda, another small A Body, the core support should be the same part-holes line up and all-"Should". With the dimensions figured out, the conversation then turned to "Cooling Capacity". Will a Giffith Radiator of these dimensions effectively cool a 450hp big block? He says "Yes", so... and then... I made it a combo to include an electric cooling fan with all the switches, temp sensors and wiring to go with it. Should be here around 4/10/12, The Radiator, Electric Fan and Electric Water Pump "should" all fit, with about 3/4" to spare. The engine mounts on Poly-Bushings so it won't move "a lot".
I knew this going in but... "sure ain't a lot of space in the A Body!"

Welcome to FABO.Yes you would be correct about the 65 Barracuda rad support being the same.Post some pics of your car,when you get time.

Thanks Scott, Funny thing, I can stuff a big block into an itty bitty car but I haven't, yet, found the button to push to create a gallery on here...

-
Back