65 Dart brakes

-

Mikes270dart

Reaction score
My 65 dart, factory V8 car, has 10" brakes. Was 9" std and 10" optional or did all V8 cars have 10" brakes

My 65 dart, factory V8 car, has 10" brakes. Was 9" std and 10" optional or did all V8 cars have 10" brakes

Yes from what I recall, your correct,
late 1964 build, Mopar added 10 inch brakes as an option,
and they were normal on the '65 and newer V8 cars.

:)

Just because its a V8 does not dictate 10 inch brakes. I have a 65 Barracuda with the build sheet and it is a Commando with a 4 speed and factory 9 inch power brakes and a single spinner axle along with 13 inch wheels.

I think the 10" brake option was available late in the '65 model year. I've had many Commando cars that year that came with the 9" brakes.

My 65,with original build date (on tag) on or around Dec 4th 1964 (Sale Date near end of Dec). Has the HD supsension, the 10" Drum and Torque Boxes. I was of the understanding the were an option for the full '65 model year, and for the end of the '64 model year. I know one of the '64 darts in the local club had the 10" drum

I too had a 1965 V-8 parts car with 9" brakes so it seems that the 9" may have been standard and 10" was the upgrade.

Looks like the date was October 1, 1964 that the option became orderable, according to the documentation:

65_Dodge_Engineering0028.jpg

65_Dodge_Dart0015.jpg

65_Dodge_Dart0016.jpg

Looks like the date was October 1, 1964 that the option became orderable, according to the documentation:

65_Dodge_Engineering0028.jpg

65_Dodge_Dart0015.jpg

65_Dodge_Dart0016.jpg
Looks like your documentation didn't go through....please repost as I'd like to see that. I've seen literally 100's of '65 models through the years and only came across 2 with factory 10" brakes. Maybe I've defied all odds and have seen just the 9" cars but I have my doubts. How expensive was the upgrade? Maybe that made people decide not to do it. Is there a special code on the fender tag or do you need a broadcast sheet?

Looks like your documentation didn't go through....please repost as I'd like to see that. I've seen literally 100's of '65 models through the years and only came across 2 with factory 10" brakes. Maybe I've defied all odds and have seen just the 9" cars but I have my doubts. How expensive was the upgrade? Maybe that made people decide not to do it. Is there a special code on the fender tag or do you need a broadcast sheet?

Wierd, the pic's show up for me. They are from the hamtrack site. Here is the link to the 65 Page. Look in Engineering and also in the Dart book.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1965DealershipDataBook-01.shtml

I didnt see any price guides there, but may have overlooked them.

10" Wasnt standard but an upgrade option that cost extra with either Heavy Duty Supsension, or the oversized brake option.

Wierd, the pic's show up for me. They are from the hamtrack site. Here is the link to the 65 Page. Look in Engineering and also in the Dart book.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1965DealershipDataBook-01.shtml

I didnt see any price guides there, but may have overlooked them.

10" Wasnt standard but an upgrade option that cost extra with either Heavy Duty Supsension, or the oversized brake option.
The pics work now....strange....I think there was a server problem earlier so maybe that was the hold up. Oct '64 was well into the '65 model year so there is no way they were available on a '64 from the factory. I'm curious if the 10" brakes were available right away or was there a delay in their actual implementation. I know the literature for my '66 Barracuda shows shoulder harnesses but they were never actually available that year. It was something they had planned for that year but they must have changed their mind after they printed the brochure and owners manual.

My 65 Barracuda V/8 parts car has 9" brakes. Formula S has 10".
Re the Dart info above....a heavy duty rear axle is part of the trailer tow package....was that a 8 3/4" rear? The 7 1/4 surely is not considered heavy duty.

-
Back