65 Dart to 67 Dart 8 3/4 axle housing bolt in?

-

Troub

67 Dart 270, 225 slant six
Reaction score
Trying to verify that an 8 3/4 housing from a 65 Dart GT will bolt into
My 67 Dart with no mods needed.
Opinions please!
Thanks!

My memory says 66 thru ???? ( Whenever they laid it to rest and replaced it with the 8 1/4,)

There wasn't too many 65's with 8 3/4 but it should bolt in. The 65 transmissions had the ball and trunnion front u joint but no issues with the rear one.

Mopar Rear Axle Dimensions
Screenshot_20211107-191752.png

late 1965, they installed 8 3/4 in 65, a bodies, i have an original letter from NHRA /mopar, allowing the change. it was for 235/273 only . i installed a 1968 8 3/4 in my 65 dart,bolted right in.

An A-body 8 3/4 will bolt into any A body from 1963 through 1972. In fact, it will bolt into later A bodies, too, but will have a small bolt pattern vs. the 73-later large bolt pattern. (And I believe an A-body 8 3/4 would also fit pre-63 A bodies, but haven't tried that combination.)

Rear springs are interchangeable 1963 through the end in 1976. (They also fit 1962 Dodge and Plymouth B bodies, whose springs have the same 20-inch front segment.)

If you now have a 7 1/4 rear, the original driveshaft will have to be shortened. Or you can use the driveshaft that goes with the 8 3/4 so long as the donor 8 3/4 is from a Dart and the donor's transmission is the same. A 727 is longer than a 904, and so would use a shorter driveshaft. If memory serves, the 3 and 4 speed manuals are the same length as a 904, but most 4 speeds have a larger main shaft than 3 speed manuals or 904s, so the front yoke would not be the same.

I have the rear end and driveshaft from a 71 Duster 340 in my 65 Barracuda. Because the Duster had a 3-speed manual vs. the Barracuda's 4-speed from a 69 Dart, I did have to change the front yoke. The driveshaft fit perfectly, though. Early Barracuda/Valiant A bodies had a shorter wheelbase than later ones (106 vs 108), but the engine/trans sat in the same place relative to the rear end. A Dart, of course, has a longer wheelbase than the Valiant/Barracuda, so the Valiant/Barracuda's driveshafts would not fit in a Dart and vice versa. (The exceptions being the Dart-based Valiant Scamps, which had the 111 inch Dart wheelbase, and the Duster-based Dodge Demons and Dart Sports, which had the 67-later Plymouth A body 108 inch wheelbase.)

Also: what Professor Fate says. Shock plates for a 7 1/4 won't fit an 8 3/4, and the 8 3/4 also has larger axle tubes than a 7 1/4, so the U bolts are different, too.

An A-body 8 3/4 will bolt into any A body from 1963 through 1972. In fact, it will bolt into later A bodies, too, but will have a small bolt pattern vs. the 73-later large bolt pattern. (And I believe an A-body 8 3/4 would also fit pre-63 A bodies, but haven't tried that combination.)

Rear springs are interchangeable 1963 through the end in 1976. (They also fit 1962 Dodge and Plymouth B bodies, whose springs have the same 20-inch front segment.)

If you now have a 7 1/4 rear, the original driveshaft will have to be shortened. Or you can use the driveshaft that goes with the 8 3/4 so long as the donor 8 3/4 is from a Dart and the donor's transmission is the same. A 727 is longer than a 904, and so would use a shorter driveshaft. If memory serves, the 3 and 4 speed manuals are the same length as a 904, but most 4 speeds have a larger main shaft than 3 speed manuals or 904s, so the front yoke would not be the same.

I have the rear end and driveshaft from a 71 Duster 340 in my 65 Barracuda. Because the Duster had a 3-speed manual vs. the Barracuda's 4-speed from a 69 Dart, I did have to change the front yoke. The driveshaft fit perfectly, though. Early Barracuda/Valiant A bodies had a shorter wheelbase than later ones (106 vs 108), but the engine/trans sat in the same place relative to the rear end. A Dart, of course, has a longer wheelbase than the Valiant/Barracuda, so the Valiant/Barracuda's driveshafts would not fit in a Dart and vice versa. (The exceptions being the Dart-based Valiant Scamps, which had the 111 inch Dart wheelbase, and the Duster-based Dodge Demons and Dart Sports, which had the 67-later Plymouth A body 108 inch wheelbase.)

Also: what Professor Fate says. Shock plates for a 7 1/4 won't fit an 8 3/4, and the 8 3/4 also has larger axle tubes than a 7 1/4, so the U bolts are different, too.

Excellent info! Thanks again to all you guys!

-
Back