65 Formula S brakes

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
I have finally finished the right side and all is good. The left side has a problem. The emergency brake cable is frozen where it goes into the backing plate. I have ordered one from NAPA, but will not be in till next Tuesday. Anything I should know about replacing the cable?
At least I am making a little progress. Thanks so much for everyones advise.

Yeah, the napa cables suck!

They don't look like the originals. The originals had wire wrapped conduit, the Napa has plastic coated.

The originals had wire only strand, the Napa has plastic coated strand. You will have to strip some plastic off of the tip of the cable where the parking brake bracket goes to for it to even fit on the end of it like it's supposed to. And they won't work right once you get them fit.

The "prongs" on the ends that snap into the backing plate are different. And are difficult to remove when you decide to **** can the parts after installing them.

Found all of this out on a set of cables for my son's Challenger.

Mancini Racing carries some from a company called "The Right Stuff" that look exactly like the originals. We're in the process of changing ours over to see how those work.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's the truth. This was my experience with Napa rear brake cables. They are the only part that I have had problems with from Napa.

I would cancel the order from Napa and reorder from Mancini, they can probably get yours to you before Tuesday. You can order the right stuff cables in sets also for around $120 - $150 for a complete set front to rear.

Good luck

Squeeze the clip where it goes through the backing plate and pull it out. There will be a second clip on the opposite end of the jacket. It is really pretty self explanatory.

Yeah, the napa cables suck!

They don't look like the originals. The originals had wire wrapped conduit, the Napa has plastic coated.

The originals had wire only strand, the Napa has plastic coated strand. You will have to strip some plastic off of the tip of the cable where the parking brake bracket goes to for it to even fit on the end of it like it's supposed to. And they won't work right once you get them fit.

The "prongs" on the ends that snap into the backing plate are different. And are difficult to remove when you decide to **** can the parts after installing them.

Found all of this out on a set of cables for my son's Challenger.

Mancini Racing carries some from a company called "The Right Stuff" that look exactly like the originals. We're in the process of changing ours over to see how those work.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's the truth. This was my experience with Napa rear brake cables. They are the only part that I have had problems with from Napa.

I would cancel the order from Napa and reorder from Mancini, they can probably get yours to you before Tuesday. You can order the right stuff cables in sets also for around $120 - $150 for a complete set front to rear.

Good luck

Wow, that NAPA cable does sound like a real pain in the rear.

Thew part I needed was $18. Sounds better than 120 to 150. I may have to see if it will work for that price difference. I only ordered the part that goes into the rear hub, not the set. I will look at it when it comes in before I leave the store. Thanks for the info.

Thew part I needed was $18. Sounds better than 120 to 150. I may have to see if it will work for that price difference. I only ordered the part that goes into the rear hub, not the set. I will look at it when it comes in before I leave the store. Thanks for the info.

If NAPA is crap, you might take a good picture of your old one with measurements and post a wanted ad for a used one on this site. My 10" 7 1/4 rear end used the same cable as my 10" 8 3/4. If it is the same with what you have there is always a bunch of 7 1/4 rear ends floating around.

I've used a fuel line hose clamp to retract the retainer prongs where the cable housing locks into the backing plate.

Great idea from both of you. Thanks again. I had not even thought of checking for a used part. I have a mopar restoration shop close by. Don't like to go there, but I may just suck it up and stop in.
If you don't have a Road Runner, Charger, or Challenger he doesn't give you much time.

I have finally finished the right side and all is good. The left side has a problem. The emergency brake cable is frozen where it goes into the backing plate. I have ordered one from NAPA, but will not be in till next Tuesday. Anything I should know about replacing the cable?
At least I am making a little progress. Thanks so much for everyones advise.

Old mechanic secret a 1/2 box wrench slides right over the locking clip and the cable pulls right out.

thanks for the old mechanic's secret. I wont tell anyone.

I had similar problems with a NAPA cable too. I ended up taking it off and using an old cable I had lying around after I freed it up really well.

Thanks for the advise. I have to work all weekend. Who would think Memorial Day would be be would be a huge sale at Mattress Firm?

biggest sale of the year. I would like to retire, but my wife is out of work, my daughter got married saturday as well as I have 2 in college. So I manage the store and pay the bills. One of these days, I'll be able to go to car shows again, Finish my own car and just enjoy life. As for now, it's the biggest sale of the year.

Here's what I'm talking about:

Here are pictures of the NAPA brake cables, Notice:

1. Plastic coated strand - I had to trim some back to fit the brake lever.
2. The button on the end of the strand is not like OEM.
3. The strand has a plastic coating on it.

View attachment NAPA Cable A02 B2.jpg

Here's another picture, Notice:

1. Plastic coated strand.
2. Plastic coated conduit.
3. Retainer clip not correct.
4. No weather seal.

View attachment NAPA Cable A04 B2.jpg

Here's the box for the right stuff kit:

View attachment TRS A01 B.jpg

Here's what comes in it minus the one we already started to install:

View attachment TRS A02 B.jpg

Here's what the brake cables look like, notice:

1. Correct style button on end of strand.
2. Correct style strand without plastic coating.
3. Correct style retainer clip.
4. Correct style seal.
5. Correct non plastic coated conduit (like factory original).

View attachment TRS A03 B2.jpg

Here's another close up of the conduit end that goes into the backing plate. Notice the correct retainer clip, weather seal, and conduit.

View attachment TRS A04 B2.jpg

Here's a close up of the end for the brake lever, Notice:

1. Correct style button.
2. Correct style strand with no plastic coating.

View attachment TRS A07 B2.jpg

I like NAPA parts and use them often. I just don't like their brake cable kits. They are difficult to install, and didn't work properly when we did get them installed. We are replacing them with the ones from The Right Stuff and throwing the NAPA ones away. I've had problems with other parts store brake cables also. I now look for ones like the originals.

I do believe that The Right Stuff sells the brake cables separately, but we wanted the whole kit and it was cheaper to buy the whole set together than to buy them separately.

not sure if any price diff but I used to order directly from "right stuff", and 'fine lines', great makers of rep brake and fuel lib=nes too.

not sure if any price diff but I used to order directly from "right stuff", and 'fine lines', great makers of rep brake and fuel lib=nes too.

Yes. the fine lines ones look good to me also. :cheers:

I've learned to stay away from the parts store ones now after going through this with two different parts stores.... :banghead:

If knowledge came with age, I should be a GENIOUS. I think I skipped out on the first 40 years or so.

People ask me what I majored in in college. My response, football and cheerleaders, not necessarily in that order. Depends on what time of the year it was.

Thank you. I learned that in the early 80`s when I started wrenching. I always pay attention to an older fella when I work with one. The knowledge is priceless.

Yes, sometimes those old guys are real fart smellers... I mean smart fellers.... :sign5:

I sometimes get frustrated with my older son. He's at the age where he's young, dumb, and full of come, and thinks he knows it all. Just like we did back then (I think he's worse than I was)...

I tell him something and he doesn't pay attention and does it anyway. Then realizes that I was right.... :banghead:

At my age, I've realized that I am not even close to knowing everything, I just know alot about a little and there is so much that I don't know and will never know....

As they say, with age comes wisdom..... (part of wisdom is to realize that I don't know ****).

I have learned I should have started a project like this atleast 20 years ago

-
Back