65 Formula S tachometer disassembly

-

Silverwarrior

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to separate the chrome bezel from the can without breaking the pot metal tabs on the bezel? I bought a factory tach off of eBay someone had separated the bezel from the can and in the process broke all of the pot metal tabs. I now have another factory S tach I need to disassemble and don't want to break the tabs in the process. The can seems too ridged to squeeze together. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Seems as though I twisted mine. And it released. Been a while though.

IMG_0292.JPG
IMG_0326.JPG
IMG_0324.JPG
IMG_0296.JPG
IMG_0297.JPG
IMG_0328.JPG
IMG_E0298.JPG

Seems as though I twisted mine. And it released. Been a while though.

I wish it was that simple. I either have to push the can in or pry the pot metal tabs out on the bezel. The bezel in the picture has all the tabs broken off from someone trying to pry on them. The can is pretty ridged you can't just squeeze it with your hands

Very carefully, PB Blaster and slowly worked my way around a little at a time I didn't try to completely release one tab all at once. I got one started maybe the thickness of a dime moved to the next one then the next a little at a time just be patient. You'll need to keep a thin spacer at the tab you start with as you work your way around. I started with the widest tab first.

I replaced mine years ago. I dont recall it being that technical? Maybe I got lucky and had a loose one.

-
Back