65 GT Wheels

-

Hueyjockey

Reaction score
I have a stock '65 Dart GT that I want to swap the steel wheels for some Rallyes. Any one know the largest wheel I can get into the stock wheel wells? They are the small bolt pattern and I'm guessing 4.25 is the largest back spacing that will work. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

My 65 Barracuda has 15 X 7 Rallyes with P225/60R/15 rubber... Fits fine as I don't have any rubbing issues.. I think my backspace is 4.125...

This should be the same spacing for your 65 Dart...

Attachments

• RALLYE4.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 336
  • RALLYE6.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 340
My 65 Barracuda has 15 X 7 Rallyes with P225/60R/15 rubber... Fits fine as I don't have any rubbing issues.. I think my backspace is 4.125...

This should be the same spacing for your 65 Dart...
Not to hi jack this thread. But would like to see a full picture of your car. The white looks really nice.

Not to hi jack this thread. But would like to see a full picture of your car. The white looks really nice.

Hmmmm... Another one (front angle full view) with the Mopar 15 X 7 Rallyes with P225/60R/15 rubber...

Thanks prrc

Attachments

• L_100812_sm.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 325
Thanks clifcuda, those are the exact wheels I am looking at. They look awesome on your Barracuda. My Dart is White as well, so I'm hoping to have have a similar look.

Thanks again for the info.

Cliffcuda65, how much room is there between the tire bulge and both the wheel well lip trim and the spring?

Bob

rgp266 (Bob), oh... about 1 inch to 1-1/8 between tire bulge and leaf spring... and about 1-1/4 on the wheel well lip trim drivers side... and passenger side is about 1-1/2...

Clif :coffee2:

With the early A especially, you are diameter limited in the front and width limited in the rear. Take a look at the "point" at the bottom of the wheel opening in front of the tire, this is where the tire will hit first during turns. Slight trimming will allow you to run a taller tire that will hit the top of the fender at full jounce. A 26" tire is about the max that easily fits in an early A up front. Out back, assuming a fairly neutral offset, the spring will be the limiting factor. A 10" tire will be about max.

Unless your Dart is a real porker (over 3200#) a 225 section tire is probably a good choice for the street. If you want to run a staggered set you could probably get by with a 255/60 in the back on an 8" rim. If you need more rubber, you'll probably want something other than 15" steel wheels to put it on.

Thanks, Clif. Assuming the springs are in the stock location, not moved in at all? I have heard of folks running a 235/60 tire on the rear of the early A but thought that would create clearance issues with the spring in the factory location. This with a 7" rim. C130 is correct on the front, 26" is the limit unless you can get creative with backspacing.

Bob

Thanks, Clif. Assuming the springs are in the stock location, not moved in at all? I have heard of folks running a 235/60 tire on the rear of the early A but thought that would create clearance issues with the spring in the factory location. This with a 7" rim. C130 is correct on the front, 26" is the limit unless you can get creative with backspacing.

Bob

BoB... My leaf springs are in the stock location... I could have gone a tire size larger... but backed off because I really did not want ANY problems... Love the ride I get with these 15X7's over the 14's that I ran for years... No going back for me. Besides, I like the looks & stance!!!!

I'm a "reserved" person by nature... I Try to hold off on the extreme leaving it for the youth!

Clif of Az. :coffee2:

My '65 Valiant currently has 15X8 Cop Car Wheels with 4" of back spacing with 215-60 tires out back. When I replace the current tires with new ones I will replace the wheels with 15 x7's in the rear (maybe 15X6 fronts) and the tires with 235's. I may use a 70 series tire to gain some height to cut down on highway RPM at cruise, even with 3.23 rear gears it really sings at 70 MPH. If I go to the trouble of relocating springs I will go all the way to 3" and run 275's on the rear. Get a little bad-*** grandpa action going on there (-:.

Bob

I tried some 15x7 Rallys with 4" backspace and used 225/70-15's. There's 1" clearance between the bulge of the tire and the spring and 1 1/4" on the outside to the wheel lip. I'll bet a 15x8 with the proper offset would work. Might have to cut or roll the wheel lip though. I just have 14x6 stockers up front. tmm

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0686.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 213
My '65 Valiant currently has 15X8 Cop Car Wheels with 4" of back spacing with 215-60 tires out back. When I replace the current tires with new ones I will replace the wheels with 15 x7's in the rear (maybe 15X6 fronts) and the tires with 235's. I may use a 70 series tire to gain some height to cut down on highway RPM at cruise, even with 3.23 rear gears it really sings at 70 MPH. If I go to the trouble of relocating springs I will go all the way to 3" and run 275's on the rear. Get a little bad-*** grandpa action going on there (-:.

Bob

I did have the off set Shackles/front hangers & re located S/S springs in my 63 Valiant...
Hmmm... maybe I should do that to my cuda ??? :D NOT!!!

Clif of Az. :coffee2:

Attachments

• race63_4.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 228
some tire combos dont allow you to change the freaking tire unless you pop the shock off. I had 10's under my old 65 and had this problem. It was the 80's so I just shackled the rear spring and ran them under the lip!

I just put a set of american racing Torq Thrust on my 66 Cuda.

Front 17X7 with 4" Backset 215/45/17's
Rear 17X9 with 5.8 Backset 245/45/17's

Front has plenty of room and back has all that will fit under the fenders.
The rear rim/tire clearance on the spring is about 1/4"

No Rubbing so far

-
Back