65 Valiant 200 Convertible top Frame Question

-

Steves65

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

My father in law handed down his Valiant to me last October after it sat in his garage for over 30 years (not running), After 8 or so months of work, it runs, I have it registered, and started driving it a few weeks ago. With the car, he also gave me a new top, that was still in the box, and had been sitting in his attic since the early 80's....I finally took it out of the box the other day and to my amazement it looks brand new! So I would love to get it installed, but the frame needs some repair work first. The very end of the top frame (which sits on the windshield frame) is rotted on both ends. It looks like this section of the frame will unbolt from the rest, does anyone know where I could buy just that end piece? I tried google, but all the results are for the actual tops, I can't find anything for top frames....any help would be appreciated!!

I have one but it has a little rot on top, but you could very easily patch it and would not see it once the top was on

Thanks Joel, I was wondering how much you want for it. I sent you a PM with additional info

Thanks!

Sorry got busy and forgot to respond... Ill get you pics ASAP and if it is any better I'm not looking to get a lot out of it I just got it with the dart and the one that's on it is better. Only reason I still have it is so I can use it to see the "order" of everything when I put my new top on

Isn't it great to see how many nice blokes who help others are on FABO ?
And gret to have a convertibles only forum - I think it's terrific.

Depending on how bad it is I would consider bead blasting it (its length might mean that it needs to be sent out to somebody) and fiberglassing the area with the holes. As long as the structure is still sound this would work and not be visible after finish and paint.

Hey guys, i'm still looking for a header bow if anyone has one or knows where I can get one

Thanks

I had a 65 Coronet 'vert that was rotted on top at the ends. I made a couple of patches, welded them in, ground the welds smooth and a skim coat of Tiger Hair. Worked great and one thevtop was installed you could not see any evidence of any repairs.

sent from my iPhone

Joel responded, his was just in rougher shape than he thought, but he definitely tried to help me out

Here's a pic of my header bow, the passenger side is the worst side

Attachments

• DSCN1439 (800x600).jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 228
I haven't seen one that wasn't at least a little rusted on the ends. I'm not sure why there is such a large recessed area at the ends either. I found the rust started and spread from a single screw hole they put there. Weld a patch in it is my plan.

I haven't seen one that wasn't at least a little rusted on the ends. I'm not sure why there is such a large recessed area at the ends either. I found the rust started and spread from a single screw hole they put there. Weld a patch in it is my plan.

that's where they put the padding for the convertible top so it doesn't show a lump in the top. of course it collects any and every bit of water that get's blown in from a weak seal and rust's out. the header seal channel and 2 side pieces that hold the top down are rust catchers also. mine will be redone in ABS plastic to stop the channel from rusting again as soon as I can get a mold made of a decent part.

-
Back