'65 Valiant No High Beam Problem

-
That may explain why it didn't trip the breaker. Although my experience has been the breakers can be slow to trip in these situations.

High beam indicator is powered by wire L5

1701110872755.png

1701111211521.png

and L5 joins L3 at the bulkhead.
But you already figured that out, right?
wink-gif.gif

So it should have tripped the 15 amp breaker eventually.
In any event it would seem you are narrowing down the location of the short.

I can see the pin for the high beam light shorted out on the pot metal underneath it.

Then I tested the mini-bulbs and they are all new and filaments intact and separately they work. However, when installed on the circuit board It seems only one dash light will work. Cleaning did not help. Looks like the metal tracing conductor has worn off after 50 years or so.

I ordered another circuit board from a Canadian source that ships internationally. It looks to be even a higher quality than the factory issued piece. End of story for now. Thank you all.

P.S. The only thing I see with the new board is a possible discrepancy with the hole in the center of the pin module. The factory hole is round but with an extra dogleg in the bottom that matches the pin plug of the wiring harness. Not sure at this point, but that dogleg may have to be "carved out" some before final installation.

circuit board.jpeg

-
Back