65 Valiant Signet convertible project; where to start?

-

Valiant63

Early A-body Valiants
Reaction score
It has been since I have started a car from scratch. It has a supposively, rebuilt engine put in it, but has the wrong motor mounts (engine coooked) and it isn't currently running (electrical issues). The body is needing work along the bottom of the quarters and the top is trash. Where do you all start the process? I plan to clean it out, remove the seats and old carpet and vacuum every thing out. What should I do next? Just wondering so I can get myself going on it. I want to get the engine going, the body work done, and get a new top put on it (I have a new on in a box). Thanks for your imput.

I'd really like to find a 65 Valiant Wagon. I thought I had one, but, you know how that goes sometimes. Someone else got it before I could make plans.

Bag and tag every little nut/bolt/washer you remove from the car and note where it came from. Lots of pictures will help you remember the little things.

Motor - What motor? If a V8 and the motor mounts are for a later year, it will sit crooked (ask me how I know this!). If a 273/318 the correct early A mounts should solve the problem. If a 340/360, Schmacker (sp?) has the conversion mounts for an early A or modify the early A ones. If a later engine, did the PO use the correct early A V8 oil pan? Yes, there is a difference!

Electrical problems - hard to say without further explanation.

On the top, make sure it's for a Valiant as the Dart tops are not interchangeable.

Good luck with the Signet!

The engine is a 318 from the numbers on the side. Yes, it sits crooked, but I have 273 mounts that I can put in it. I don't know what oil pan was uses, but it doesn't seem to be interfeerint he with K-frame. It has a broken distributor in it to fill the hole in the block, but it has no cap, wires, coil or anything to make it spark. I'd like to do electronic ignition, but have never done that myself.
The body work is just a cut out the rust, and weld in good sheetmetal thing. I need to remove all the bright work and then have it painted all over before I reasemble the body mouldings.
The interior is in decent shape with the exception of it needing a carpet. Does Auto Custom Carpets still make a good carpet for these cars?

The correct early A motor mount brackets should solve the crooked problem. A later oil pan may or may not interfere with the K frame; it does have a a pair of good size clearance bumps on either side of the pan for clearance for the idler/pitman arm/ and maybe the tie rod.

Electronic ignition is a great idea and pretty simple to do. Been discussed at length and a search should find them. Auto Custom Carpets makes a great product but IIRC will not sell to the general public. Order the carpet from StockInteriors.com; the carpet will come in an ACC box.

Everyone likes pics so posted them and they'll also help you as well.

PS: I parted out a 65 Signet convertible a few years ago and still have the trim that goes around the back window for sale.

sounds like you have a big project,

you need to decide your plans, then make a list.. how nice of a resto job do you want & what is your budget.

If the car is presentable I would tackle the engine/running issues, get the suspension /brakes safe-- basically make it drive-able then see how bad the body is-- you will be all over that thing fixing suspension/brake items.

Attachments

• IMG_6464.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 165
like vdart says, decide if it will be driven as worked on or parked for for how many decades getting everything done to it!!?? LOL and how many $$ ya want to put in it???!! will you do body?paint or send it out???
after paint work, will ya HAVE to have bright work rechomed, buffed, replaced????? get it running and see what ya gotr for an engine/tranny???
gonna drive it, maybe upgrade brake system... front end needs rebuild?????
looks like neat project. I tell peole to get it driving and see if its really what ya want too.
hopefully ALL the unique vert stuff is there!!! keep us posted, we're a nosey bunch! LOL

I suppose I should work on getting it running. Getting a dual reservoir master cylinder and replacing brake lines are definately in order. The back brake drums are shot, so I hope I can get new ones.
I am in Florida near Lake Wales for the whole winter until I go back up to PA. I towed the car down here from PA over the weekend. I bought it over a year ago and haven't really done much to it yet.
For those that know me on here, you know I am paralyzed, but I still like to work on cars as much as I can. I am not the greatest at it, some of you really have me beat, but I like getting the old 65 Plymouth A-bodies back on the road. I do what I can myself, but paint is not my thing. I will get under the car and see if I can fix the engine mount issue as soon as I get the seats and carpet out of her and repair the floors.
Thanks for your help and advise and just the motivation. It is much appreciated.
Pics are hard for me to do as I don't yet operate technology-wise in this century yet. I don't have home TV service, internet, or even a home phone. I don't have the ability to email pics on my phone, either. See, I am a little backwards, but I liek it that way. I am at a local place that has Wifi. :) :nike:

Start with a plan, plain and simple! Make a list, and under each catagory write what needs to be done, bought, or found on that area! Split the bought/found list and look up some parts to complete that assembly! If you need to find something, make an ad here, there, and anywhere including taking said list to swap meets! Work on one assembly at a time as it fits into your plan!

Welcome to FABO by the way, home of the early A lovers club!! Geof

Welcome to the club! great to see another old A body vert on it's way back. I started with getting it running right. I wanted to drive it and it gave me the gumption to get the rest done. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

you only finish by starting. Grab a part and start. I wanted to sell my '65 last winter, so I decided to look into what it needed to "fix a few things". Well, every time I "looked", I found more problems. So now the car is apart, I'm collecting parts, and it will go back together when I have what I need. If you don't have the fire to keep at it, and the cash to pay for 50% more than you know you need, you might want to store it until you do...lol. Mine's stored at the moment...lol.
Then start by taking it apart methodically, document with pictures, and bag/tag everything. The car will tell you what you need to do.

With a V-8 you probably have 10" drums. I would just order a 1967 A-body master cylinder and plumb it to convert to a dual system. 1967 is the first year dual braking circuits became law. Since your distributor is messed up, now would be the perfect time to gather the parts for a factory electronic conversion.

You have an interesting project going. I just started on a 64 Val Vert myself. My immediate plans are to get it running and stopping first. (been off the road since 82) My immediate goal is to start driving it by summer. I just dropped the /6 block, crank, rods off at a machine shop about 1-1/2 weeks ago. It needs to be bored. Interior needs work but I can live with that. Exterior is OK and it has a patina I went to enjoy for awhile. I guess they all rust behind the rear wheel opening. Once winter comes again I'll do more. Since you are now in Florida maybe weather won't be a problem for you but I typically drive my junk in the summer and collect parts for the winter projects. That's my plan but you have to come up with your own. Good luck.

Welcome to the world of early A-bodies & Valiant convertibles.
Sounds like a great car & a good project.
I like something that I can drive at least a little bit, so I would think getting it running to be first thing to address. Might as well start with a mopar electronic ingnition. If it's sat a long time old gas can become like varnish in lines, carb & tank so that may or it may not be another issue to get it running. Then there's the cooling system to check out including the water pump. Don't forget the brakes, the hoses are probably fifty years old and in poor shape. If you live in an area without heavy traffic you might be able to get by with drum brakes for a bit but I think that disc brakes are really needed on today's roads.
After it's running then I work work on the top and carpet.

-
Back