65 valiant steering coupler for power steering.

-

JimMac

Reaction score
I purchased everything I needed to add power steering for me 65 valiant from an auto wrecker. The steering coupler they supplied is about 5/8th of an inch longer than the standard steering one that the car had. Because I also have the automatic this makes it a very tight fit. Is there a coupler that is the same length as the standard? If so where can I get one? I would just need the lower part as the top and insides from the old one will work.

I don't know the exact year that box coupling changed but it did change. Applies to both manual and power steering applications. It got a little longer and the size of the blocks, spring clips, stuff inside changed also. You probably should provide pics, actual measurements, some more details to ensure you get the correct part. Good hunting

I don't know the exact year that box coupling changed but it did change. Applies to both manual and power steering applications. It got a little longer and the size of the blocks, spring clips, stuff inside changed also. You probably should provide pics, actual measurements, some more details to ensure you get the correct part. Good hunting
Thanks, the manual steering couplings that I have from my 65 and 66parts car are about 3 inches long (Without the cap) and the power steering one they sent is 3 and 5/8th inches long. From what you are saying it sounds like the correct one for my car should be the same length as the manual ones that I have. The wrecker I got it from does not have a shorter one. What I need is just the empty casing about 3 inches long that fits on the power steering box.

like this? Square receiver, no humps. Early model. I got 2 shoes, gasket clamp and 1 spring.
coupler.JPG

20171017_132726.jpg
like this? Square receiver, no humps. Early model. I got 2 shoes, gasket clamp and 1 spring.
View attachment 1715100506
Sorry, just got this message. This is what mine look like. These are for standard steering but I need the one for power steering. The difference is the standard spline is about 3/4 of an inch and the power is about 1/2 inch. I think the auto wrecker in Alberta Canada that sent me the wrong one has now found the one I need. I will see when I receive it.

-
Back