65 Valiant.

-

ogisme

Reaction score
Just quick question. Has anyone ever seen a 65 4 door Valiant that came from the factory with a 273 and a 4 speed?

Yes, I have also seen a 67 Dart.When it comes to ma mopar never say never.

I had one. Not only did it have four doors but a tailgate too. The clutch was out of it when I got it in 1975. A guy came into the parts house where I worked and asked if I knew anybody who would trade a good pool cue for a car that didn't work. When he told me it was a 65 Valiant I got really interested and asked him how much he wanted for it. He didn't want cash, just a pool cue. When he told me it had a four speed I knew I wanted it. So, he and I went down and picked out his new cue. When I went to get the car I discovered it was a wagon. I drug it home and replaced the burned up Auburn clutch. Drove the thing to work for quite some time. Until the guy who lived next door needed to move and couldn't fit his belongings into his Fiat Sport Spider. I swapped out the for A833 for a three speed tranny and traded him the car for a Marantz turntable. I've still got the tranny!

Just quick question. Has anyone ever seen a 65 4 door Valiant that came from the factory with a 273 and a 4 speed?

In 1970 I bought a 1964 Valiant 200 wagon- a 273 2 barrel with a 4 speed. bought it off a Dodge dealers lot with 60000 miles- drove it a year and then found a '69 340 which replaced the 273- had a '68 style SS/B Hemi hood scoop on it- love to find one today---

Just wanted to know because I have the chance to buy one for $500.00 but it needs a complete restoration. I had never seen or heard of one and thought it might be a one of one, don't sound so unique now.

From time to time you do run across complete oddball cars that you would never think of them building. On ebay a couple days ago I saw a slant powered volare wagon with a 833od. Since you are in texas is the this $500 car solid? Those of us in the rustbelt would kill to get an unrusted car for $500 regardless of powertrain.

On ebay a couple days ago I saw a slant powered volare wagon with a 833od.

That wasn’t too uncommon to find an OD transmission in a wagon or sedan, particularly in a low content unit. Those were the days of expensive gasoline like today, and folks were lining up for inexpensive high fuel mileage family haulers. Slant six with OD transmission was a lot of car for the buck, and relatively inexpensive to operate compared to other mid-sized and compact wagons of the day.

Looking back from today’s minivan perspective where 99.99% of new vans have automatic transmissions, and power everything, stash & go seating, AC, back-up cameras etc. a striped standard shift family car seems odd.

I worked for a dodge dealer in 1969 and 70 during summers- as the last cars arrived at the end of the model year run you would see some weird combos- just emptying the bins....

... I have the chance to buy one for $500.00 ... don't sound so unique now.
Jump on it. 4 speed trannys command a high price and might be worth close to $500 alone. That was a performance option. Even just the 3-pedal assembly is valuable. It is possible the engine is the more desired HiPo or "Commando" version with high compression pistons. If so, it would have had a factory 4 bbl iron manifold w/ Carter carb and finned valve covers. It might also even have the special exhaust with rear square resonator (still 1 exit tube). That would be the coolest 4 dr around and a neat sleeper.

I'm with you Gib, Worked at a Dodge dealer it the 70's.Some of the sales bank cars were very strange.By 74 Chrysler was just throwing cars together.
Back to the 65.For $500 buy it.If it's not rusty,, you may have hit Gold !

-
Back