66 273 radiator/fan shroud dimentions

-

snate66

We're done here...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Having had a recent success on fabrication some hard to find bits and pieces I was thinking of attempting another but bigger project.

Looking for anyone with fan shroud that came with the factory AC package in the early Valiant/ Barracuda that can get dimensions to create a detailed drawing. I believe from the collection of photos I have found that it is a two piece steel box.
My radiator has the support mounts on it and I could make a lot of "guesses" and start fabin' something but I would like to make it as close as possible.

Anyone out there have one of these boxes and the time and inclination to get all "detailed"?

Having had a recent success on fabrication some hard to find bits and pieces I was thinking of attempting another but bigger project.

Looking for anyone with fan shroud that came with the factory AC package in the early Valiant/ Barracuda that can get dimensions to create a detailed drawing. I believe from the collection of photos I have found that it is a two piece steel box.
My radiator has the support mounts on it and I could make a lot of "guesses" and start fabin' something but I would like to make it as close as possible.

Anyone out there have one of these boxes and the time and inclination to get all "detailed"?

It is a 2 piece box-like shroud that the upper and lower bolt together. The upper and lower each consists of 3 pieces spot welded together. There are 2 "caged" nuts per section that the special brackets bolts to on the shroud and to the radiator side panels. I had pictures but lost them all in a computer crash; I reckon I could take some more pics of one of the ones I have - but of course they're all in storage. I have 3 for the V8 and 1 for the slant (and the two are definitely different!).

I bought a small sheet metal brake and 5 of the 6 pieces are definitely doable; the remaining piece that runs across the top will take some work to get it right since originally it was done in a press. When I have some extra time, I will be making one for my custom-build 3 core 22 inch slant radiator since slant shrouds were only for the slant's 19 inch radiator.

If I remember, those were more boxy shaped and metal, vs the 67 and later ones that were all one-piece and plastic..

This is what the fan shroud looks like

I can get the measurement later

Attachments

• IMG_5203.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_5204.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_5207.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 403
Great responses!
Yes the installed, square dimensions would be good to start with but the more critical ones of course are the diameter of the cut out as well as the offset from center on both planes. ( right/left-top/bottom). It might be hard to get much from the two formed pieces but good close up photos of those shapes and contours might give some direction. If I had one in hand I would probably trace them out to get a "general" line.
Of course I would just buy one IF it became available as well!! but now that I have started this in my head even if I found one I would still try to build it and get a decent drawing made to fabricate from. ( I can become obsessive)

Cheers. and thanks!
N

I thought about making a metal factory type shroud for my 66 convertible that I am adding factory AC to.

If you make an extra I would like to buy it.

All the pics I have... Maybe a veiw that will help you...

Clif of Az. :coffee2: Plymouth, Dodge & Jeep!

Attachments

• SHROUD.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 369
  • SHROUD1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 320
  • SHROUD2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 319
The funny thing is Cosgig just loaned me an original early "A" shroud bracket. I made a sketch but need to make a drawing. I also have an original shroud. Let me see what I can do.

It would be interesting to see the difference in cooling with shroud vs without I would imagine it would be more important on an air car that would be able to pull more air through both rad and condenser at idle and low speed?

I have factory a/c and in the summer at idle with the compressor running the shroud is much needed. However put me down for two from whoever is going to start bending metal if it's not too expensive. eBay has had them from time to time

Edited
Granted this is with a factory set up. The newer rotary compressors I don't know if you would need a shroud they have almost no draw.

I have factory a/c and in the summer at idle with the compressor running the shroud is much needed. However put me down for two from whoever is going to start bending metal if it's not too expensive. eBay has had them from time to time

Edited
Granted this is with a factory set up. The newer rotary compressors I don't know if you would need a shroud they have almost no draw.

The shroud is a focus for the fan to pull thru the condenser and radiator.

I have two 66 Barracudas originally sold in CA. Both were 273 non A/C cars and both had the factory installed fan shroud. Build sheets for both show the shroud as build equipment.
Just wondering if a CAP (clean air package) called for a shroud on all CA 66's w/273, not just the A/C cars?

What is it about early March that makes me re-address this? I was just going through the greats pics and measurements I received from you folks last year and I am missing a couple.
One is the overlap of the two pieces. I could get that from the installed height of the box since that would be easier to get from an installed piece.
The distance from the top passenger corner of the square piece to where the formed section starts.
And the same on the lower passenger side.

Last edited:
I have two 66 Barracudas originally sold in CA. Both were 273 non A/C cars and both had the factory installed fan shroud. Build sheets for both show the shroud as build equipment.
Just wondering if a CAP (clean air package) called for a shroud on all CA 66's w/273, not just the A/C cars?
My CA 66 Dart GT w/273 non AC had the shroud

-
Back