Not open for further replies.

dukes69

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Contact seller
I need a 4 speed shiter for a console equipped 66 Barracuda. I have three different Hurst shifters that are supposed to be or a console equipped car. All of them have different ways to mount them, i.e. bolt in, bayonet...etc. Also if anyone has pictures that would be nice.

66 Barracuda used an Inland shifter, better known as the wet noodle. Here is the late68/69 shifter.

Attachments

• Factory shifter 01.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 424
  • Factory shifter 02.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 328
  • Factory shifter 03.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 373
  • Factory shifter 04.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 439
By the way, this was the bayonette style, but we drilled and tapped it to bolt it in.

Jim,
Thanks, I think I have that same shifterjust not the shifter mechanism for it to go into. I will see if I can find the mechanism.

I've got a few late shifter mechanisms, bayonette style. I keep thinking I'll take them apart for clean and grease. They have the same plates as the A-body (or sure like they do), but have a grease fitting on the side and the lower dust shield. I'd let one go for $50 plus shipping needing to be cleaned or $100 if I take it apart and clean it up (I do check for wear, but don't have a great way to check operation - I can bolt it to a four speed, but that trans is out of the car, but I can see how it works).

this is the inland console 4 speed in my 67 should be similar to the 66 shifter.

if you go to this page http://www.brewersperformance.com/category13.asp
you can see a Hurst mechanism to inland handle conversion, pricey at 299.00 but if you want to keep it stock looking that might be one of the best options outside of a true inland shifter, as noted they are sloppy.
if that is not a concern you'll also notice on the same page repo console shift handles these are like the late 68-9 a body Hurst handles but you'll need a bolt on not bayonette shift mech. these would be like the first photo's. the factory console Hurst were bayonette style, but are expensive IF you can find one.

if you look at the picture of the Hurst/ inland conversion you'll notice the inland has 3 bolts in a triangle pattern for the handle to attach to the mechanism.

Attachments

• shifter small.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 323
Rocky JS,
Thks much appreciated, I have three different shifter handles and two different mechanisms, I will post pictures tonight. I don't care if it is original looking. I would love an original inland shifter but the hurst will be good. I just hope the wife likes the way it shifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back