66 Barracuda 4 speed crossmember and floor tunnel

-

blue66cuda

Reaction score
I'm doing a automatic to 4 speed conversion on my 66 barracuda. I have a 340 in the car. Does anyone know where I can find the right 4 speed crossmember for an a833 trans and a 4 speed floor tunnel?
Thanks

I'm doing a automatic to 4 speed conversion on my 66 barracuda. I have a 340 in the car. Does anyone know where I can find the right 4 speed crossmember for an a833 trans and a 4 speed floor tunnel?
Thanks

Crossmember is the exact same. You may want to get the 4 speed rubber mount. You can get a fiberglass one from Brewer's Performance but it says it is for 64-65. Not sure why it would not work on a 66. Ebay and swap meets are a good source as well.

Someone else may chime in.

Welcome to the site

I,m doing a swap from 6 to 360 right now,I,m cutting and modifying my crossmember for duals.(putting a notch for exhaust bypass)I think all crossmembers are the same for 4 speed or auto?

The transmission crossmembers are the same regardless of engine or transmission. Brewer's is probably your best bet for the floor hump. '64-'65 will work since the only difference is the shape of the shifter hole. The early ones are round and the '66 is oval. The '67 up floor humps will not fit without quite a bit of cutting and welding. If you go that route you would be better off making a hump out of flat sheet metal.

grumpus is right,63-65 has a round hole and 66 is oval and harder to find.I used an earlier one and screwed the oval boot on top of it.Also if you're using the factory bellhousing with the small clutch, the factory z-bar will work,but if you're planning on using the later bellhousing with the larger {10 1/2 inch} clutch,you'll have to modify the z-bar.I just bought mine from Brewers,he's done all the homework and it is a bolt on and go deal =D>:thumblef:

66 stick 001.jpg

hump 1 003.jpg

I think you can get them new at Laysons for $149.00 or more but they are out there to buy new, thats right the 66 has to be oval. I found this one (needs a little work)for under $40 or so delivered a while back so you just have to get the word out and you'll find one. Have you tried over at early valiant/cuda club site?

inside of new tunnel.jpg

new tunnel.jpg

I used the "$149" one Vic mentioned. Here's how it looked fresh out of the box, sitting on the floor of my 66 Valiant.

000000.JPG

00000.JPG

1.JPG

The '64/'65 Hurst competition plus throw is designed for the '64/'65 round hole. If you use a clock for reference and look at the shifter mechanism from the side, 1st/3rd are 10:00. Neutral is 11:00, and 2nd/4th is 12:00. A '66-up Hurst competition plus is 1st/3rd is 11:00. Neutral is 12:00, and 2nd/4th would be 1:00. The early shifter fits a '66 oval hole fine, but the shifting is done in the front of the hole. When I put a '66 shifter in an early round hole, 2nd/4th hit the rear edge of the hole.

Wow! Thanks for all the info guys! Very helpful. Is there a special crossmember for dual exhaust? I didn't know that made a difference so I didn't mention that I have duals on the car already. Brewer's sold my mechanic a crossmember that's supposed to fit. It hasn't arrived yet. I also got the fiberglass floor tunnel from Brewer. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of steel vs fiberglass?
thanks

How about the guy here on FABO that's parting out a 66 Barracuda Formula S 4 speed car. Message him and see what he has. Also, with regards to the crossmember, the 66 and earlier crossmembers are only cut out on the drivers side to accomodate the single exhaust that these cars came with. There is an altered crossmember available from Laysons to allow for dual exhaust, or you could just alter your own like i did to get the same effect. Heck, these were so popular at one time, I had my buddy alter all the early ones I had and sold them to like-minded enthusiasts like yourself. Good luck with your project, Geof

How about the guy here on FABO that's parting out a 66 Barracuda Formula S 4 speed car. Message him and see what he has. Also, with regards to the crossmember, the 66 and earlier crossmembers are only cut out on the drivers side to accomodate the single exhaust that these cars came with. There is an altered crossmember available from Laysons to allow for dual exhaust, or you could just alter your own like i did to get the same effect. Heck, these were so popular at one time, I had my buddy alter all the early ones I had and sold them to like-minded enthusiasts like yourself. Good luck with your project, Geof

Did early 64-66 barracudas not come with dual exhaust? I thought the 66 formula S came with duals? They must have made a crossmember for duals for those cars right?

Crossmember is the exact same. You may want to get the 4 speed rubber mount. You can get a fiberglass one from Brewer's Performance but it says it is for 64-65. Not sure why it would not work on a 66. Ebay and swap meets are a good source as well.

Someone else may chime in.

Welcome to the site

What's the 4 speed rubber mount do or where does it go? Do you mean a fiberglass floor tunnel? Still learning about all this stuff.

thanks

Did early 64-66 barracudas not come with dual exhaust? I thought the 66 formula S came with duals? They must have made a crossmember for duals for those cars right?

All 64-66s (even the Formula S's and Charger 273/235 horse motors) came with a single exhaust.

-
Back