66 Barracuda auto console in a 65

-

Dale3743

Reaction score
Can anyone think of why this couldn't be done? I know the 65 has a cable shift, but that shouldn't be too hard to make work.....I think? Thanks in advance for the input

The console will fit in between the seats as long as you have 66 and newer seats. (Narrower) The 66 shifter will work with a 66 and newer transmission. (the 65 tranny is actually cable operated)

The 65 seats are really wide but I have forced a 66-later console in-between them. If you do this make sure the seats are where you want them as you can’t adjust the seats with that console in place!

Can anyone think of why this couldn't be done? I know the 65 has a cable shift, but that shouldn't be too hard to make work.....I think? Thanks in advance for the input
Are you looking to sell the 65 console and shifter?

Plain and simple, the 66 console, shifter, and linkage is designed with a linkage shifted automatic (66 A body and newer) and not a 65 or older cable shifted tranny. The issue is the transmission design. Now, somehow you may be able to modify the factory cable operated floor shifter to fit into the coffin style console.

Plain and simple, the 66 console, shifter, and linkage is designed with a linkage shifted automatic (66 A body and newer) and not a 65 or older cable shifted tranny. The issue is the transmission design. Now, somehow you may be able to modify the factory cable operated floor shifter to fit into the coffin style console.

Well this is really what I meant. To just make the shifter from the 65 fit and work inside a 66 console. Looks like the seats will be the biggest problem with dropping one in to play with it. Thanks for the help guys.

Well this is really what I meant. To just make the shifter from the 65 fit and work inside a 66 console. Looks like the seats will be the biggest problem with dropping one in to play with it. Thanks for the help guys.
You may have to look for some 66 bucket seats.

-
Back