66 Barracuda gas cap venting.

-

B.Ringer

ALL MOPAR
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How to tell if the gas cap is vented. Ordered one for a 66 barracuda. It fits . Car starts easily, idles fine, after driving for 20 minutes or so if you let off the gas or when you’re coming to a stop it wants to cut off . Starts right back up. Drove the same route same speed with the gas cap off , no problem. . Should there be some pin hole on the cap somewhere that vents the cap. Thanks

How to tell if the gas cap is vented. Ordered one for a 66 barracuda. It fits . Car starts easily, idles fine, after driving for 20 minutes or so if you let off the gas or when you’re coming to a stop it wants to cut off . Starts right back up. Drove the same route same speed with the gas cap off , no problem. . Should there be some pin hole on the cap somewhere that vents the cap. Thanks
From the factory, the vent is built into the filler neck and terminates inside the frame rail. Yours MAY be plugged and was venting through a leaky cap until you installed the new one.

Vent pipe as mentioned above sometimes gets spiders or other little critters making a nest and block the hole like mud cap. Be careful blowing out the hole with compressed air as all the debris (if any) go in the tank and then clog pick up tube)
When I put in a new tank I added a drain and a top nipple for a roll over valve. Allows tank to vent but if rolled over shuts off so no leaks and fire.
(Tank may had had the vent there also new- it’s been a while)

From the factory, the vent is built into the filler neck and terminates inside the frame rail. Yours MAY be plugged and was venting through a leaky cap until you installed the new one.
Thanks , I can see the vent in the filler neck, I thought the cap needs to be vented.

Thanks, I can see the vent in the filler neck , I thought the cap needs to be vented.

Nope, it doesn't as long as the vent tube is open. It just vents to the outside through the filler neck seal. I've seen them plugged with undercoat, rust, mud, bugs, etc.
Thanks, I can see the vent in the filler neck , I thought the cap needs to be vented.

Nope, it doesn't as long as the vent tube is open. It just vents to the outside through the filler neck seal. I've seen them plugged with undercoat, rust, mud, bugs, etc.
Thanks
I’ll check the vent tube

Ok , thanks, I’ll check it out

Thanks, I’ll check it out

Vent pipe as mentioned above sometimes gets spiders or other little critters making a nest and block the hole like mud cap. Be careful blowing out the hole with compressed air as all the debris (if any) go in the tank and then clog pick up tube)
When I put in a new tank I added a drain and a top nipple for a roll over valve. Allows tank to vent but if rolled over shuts off so no leaks and fire.
(Tank may had had the vent there also new- it’s been a while)
Thanks

Nope, not built into the tube. It's a separate tube attached by a hose to a nipple on the filler neck

-
Back