66 cuda door stuck help

-

joe2018

Reaction score
Haven't had this happen before but wondering if there is a easier fix then taking the door panel off. But my door is stuck closed. :eek:ops:
It seems as though when I closed it somehow the door lock got engaged and I can't get it to open now. Any suggestions?

It may not be the door lock it maybe just stuck my old vals back doors liked to do that if i shut them too hard lol Just give it a good kick see what happens

I have a 68 parts car with both doors stuck latches are rusted/ frozen. I'm a about ready to break out the pliers and a blow torch!

There are 2 rivets that appear to hold the latch assy together then it should fall apart and open but cannot confirm. I wont be able to try it until tomorrow.

It may not be the door lock it maybe just stuck my old vals back doors liked to do that if i shut them too hard lol Just give it a good kick see what happens
Deff shut it hard by accident. Don't want to kick it, this car is completely restored besides a few seat covers. Just want to fine a option that works best. Tried pulling the lock and raising the door handle, tried using the key and also tried holding door handle from inside and putting my shoulder into it.

:violent1: HELP

Also pass. door works great as did driver side until this weekend

I would carefully take the door panel off and see if you can move the linkage from inside the door.

Deff shut it hard by accident. Don't want to kick it, this car is completely restored besides a few seat covers. Just want to fine a option that works best. Tried pulling the lock and raising the door handle, tried using the key and also tried holding door handle from inside and putting my shoulder into it.

:violent1: HELP
thats why you kick it from the inside with your boots off lol Clean socks too lol ..... Keep in mind mine was a driver a nice driver but a driver none the less lol

thats why you kick it from the inside with your boots off lol Clean socks too lol ..... Keep in mind mine was a driver a nice driver but a driver none the less lol

I'll give that a shot...Can't hurt

Still no luck, any other suggestions? :violent1:

I am looking at your drivers side door and it looks like it could be jammed in (or could be).
Here is what I have had to do to a 71 dart years ago, I had to put a floor jack under the
front drivers side frame at the farthest area back (as close to the middle of the car as possible) I jacked it up and the door opened right up, the door hinges was worn and a bit out of line, when you open it you will see where the door was pinched in place. Remember these are una bodies and do not have a full frame, I hope this help's and your door opens right up for you

WD40 straw through the gap between the door and the body. Determine where the latch is on the Pass door, and spray it well on the drivers side in the same area. May need to shield the interior against overspray. Might work?

I am looking at your drivers side door and it looks like it could be jammed in (or could be).
Here is what I have had to do to a 71 dart years ago, I had to put a floor jack under the
front drivers side frame at the farthest area back (as close to the middle of the car as possible) I jacked it up and the door opened right up, the door hinges was worn and a bit out of line, when you open it you will see where the door was pinched in place. Remember these are una bodies and do not have a full frame, I hope this help's and your door opens right up for you

The frame is tied but it can't hurt to try. This is just frustrating. But these things happen with old cars.

Live in Shorewood, right next to Joliet and Plainfield

So I bet you know where a little town call Paw Paw is :D
Dang those farmers know how to drink :D, spent some time there when I was 16 years young, visited my mom a few times in the early 90'es.
Glad to hear you have frame connectors 8)
Have you tried pushing in real hard on the outside ---then push your outside button ? Push very hard first!! Then push the button :glasses7:

Thanks for the help and ideas. Got it opened by pushing the button and door firmly then lifted up and pulled back. Opened right up!

Well, thats good news!! I was just going to chime in and say that my 66's drivers door does this sometimes also. I usually push the button in all the way, and I mean extra hard and give a firm yank and it opens. Or I'll go inside from the passenger side and pull back the handle all the way, and I mean extra hard and give the door a pop at the top!!

Probably gonna happen every now and again, maybe some teflon spray like Slick 50's "1" lube will keep it from happening again!! Geof

Sister-in-laws 66 barracuda drivers side outside door handle kept sticking, gave up trying to fix and replaced instead.

What size tires fit back there> 8 3/4? Looking for some for my 8 3/4 65...

Remove door handle and look for worn spot where thumb push activates linkage that works door latch. You may just need to weld a small piece of sheet metal to shim it out to restore full motion of linkage. In other words; mechanism is worn enough so that when push button is fully depressed the linkage can’t fully retract rod to release the door latch. I had this same problem on my ’67 Dart.

Thanks for the help and ideas. Got it opened by pushing the button and door firmly then lifted up and pulled back. Opened right up!

Happy to see this post :cheers: know is a good time to inspect it for warn and bad alignment at the striker and linkage for warn parts, happy happy happy :D

-
Back