66 cuda project begins

-

schmoe12345

66 cuda'
Reaction score
pulled the old boat anchor out today. not too bad of a project. gonna be my first A body project. this site is great, learned alot already, and you guys have some SWEET rides. keep up the good work, and keep the pics comming. 8)

inside.jpg

rezided.jpg

engineout.jpg

Looking forward to this nice 66 Barracuda build =P~
and welcome to this great site if I missed you in the Welcome Wagon forum:happy10:
Oop's we are in the welcome wagon !

thanks guys, i want to make it a nice driver, maybe 360 built, sweet paint, cool rims, little rumble, and haul a** !!!!! I had a few muscle cars in my 20's, I guess this is my mid life crisis project...pulled the rear end out today, with springs and hangers, can someone id it for me. about 51" from backing plate to plate, turn yoke and both axles turn is same direction, SBP axles. If I block one axle, the other turns, (limited slip?) here is the pics...thanks again

DSCI0089.jpg

DSCI0090.jpg

DSCI0091.jpg

DSCI0092.jpg

DSCI0093.jpg

DSCI0094.jpg

DSCI0095.jpg

I can't see the rear end cover,

8 bolts, i can get a close up, scraping it now (covered in crud) dont see any numbers, i like the sure grip, sure wish it was an 8 3/4...wont be too radical on the HP. but at least 300 to 390 hp. is it worth keeping, or should I shop around for the 8 3/4. looking to go to BBP anyway, for better wheel choice. is this rear worth anything to anyone? thanks again guys, Im gonna let it cool off a bit outside, so I will be on A bodies checking stuff out, Joe...

I have a slant 6 car that I will keep the 7 1/4 in
So if the time come's and if you go to a 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 I would be interested in the rear unit. Hope this help's, Is that a 3 or 4 speed barracuda?

the transmission is a four speed, factory. is it ok for some HP. I just crawled out from under this car, I cant believe how solid it is, drivers side floor pan will need replaced, but frame rails and whole undercarriage is solid, no rust, well...very little. the hood was crinkled, look like it came up while driving kind of thing, but I drove to Houston and picked one up for 125.00. the used one is arrow straight. need some chrome stuff, been shopping here for stuff.

Sure looks like a 7 1/4 rear to me.

Original Version:

Introduced in 1960, these units had 9-bolt covers with 2.5" diameter axle tubes from the axle flanges to the differential housing. These were originally small bolt pattern (5 X 4" bolt circle) axles used in A-bodies (Dodge Lancers, Darts and Plymouth valiants). From 1973 through 1976, they were also offered with a large bolt pattern (5 X 4.5" bolt circle) on cars with front disc brakes. Large bolt pattern versions were even used in some Slant 6 E-body Barracudas and Challengers. The small bolt pattern was discontinued around 1975 or 1976. They continued to be produced with the large bolt pattern as late as 1980, showing up in F/J/M platform cars. 1980 appears to have been a transition year. Per Randy's Ring & Pinion website, the 9 bolt rear uses a different case and spider assembly which is not compatible with later units.

Intermediate Version:

These units had 10-bolt covers with 2.5" diameter axle tubes from the axle flanges to the differential housing. As far as it is known, these were all large bolt pattern axles. This was likely an intermediate version of the 10-bolt rear before the all Chrysler axle tube ends were standardized to 3" at the axle flanges. The change to this version seems to have taken place around 1980, with both 9-bolt and 10-bolt versions appearing that year. A 10-bolt 7.25" rear with a 2.5" diameter axle has been verified in a 1980 Mirada.

Late Version:
These units had 10-bolt hexagon (stop sign) shaped covers with 3" diameter tubes at the axle flanges that stepped down to 2.5" at the differential housing. This appears to have been a bean counter change to standardize the size of the spring fastening and shock plate hardware between the 7.25" and 8.25" axle, which has 3" diameter axle tubes. As far as it is known, these were all large bolt pattern. These units appeared in all light duty (civilian duty - not police or taxi) M-body cars (Diplomats, Caravelles, Gran Furys and Fifth Avenues) from the early 1980s through the end of the production run in 1989.

Many people mistake the 10-bolt 7.25" rear for the beefier 8.25" rear due to the bolt count being the same. There are two ways to tell the two units apart:

The diameter of the 10-bolt 7.25" axle tubes will either be 2.5" entirely, or they will reduce to 2.5" as they get closer to the differential housing. 8.25" units will have 3" diameter axle tubes all the way from the axle flanges to the differential housing.
The 10-bolt 7.25" axle rear access cover will look more like a stop sign. The 8.25" unit will have a cover that appears to be rounded or oval.

Even later versions of the 7.25" axle were also used in 80s and 90s Dakotas. The axle tube diameter has not been verified, but it is likely that they had 3" diameter tubes at the axle flanges that stepped down to 2.5" at the differential housing like the ones used in 80s M-bodies.

John B.

Go to the drive line forum and ask if a 66 model 4 speed will hold up and a tec will jump in and help out, I think it will do great

sorry, cant count, its 9 bolts, so its a 7.25, gonna pull the cover and count some teeth...four speed tranny

nice 4speed 66's rule! as far as the rear goes if you plan to go big bolt pattern 5X4 1/2" late disk brake up front just use the 8 1/4 rear from the donor car, while not as strong as an 8 3/4 it is way beefier than a 7 1/4, just make sure you dont get one with the 2:45 ratio or you will have to change the carrier in order to change the ring and pinion

Looks like a good project, If the 7 1/4 rear has a sure grip in it I would definetly keep it and sell it, those small sure grip units are hard to find, someone would scoop it up for their slant six car and in return you could get some $$$ for yours!

got the front clip off today. gonna pull that k frame off when it cools down outside. nothingbutdarts sent me a nice thread of installing the motor, tranny and k frame as one package, and lowering the car onto the assemble, thats the way to go. thanks guys for all the compliments and suggestions, making this job fun and easier. here is the pics!

DSCI0096.jpg

DSCI0097.jpg

DSCI0098.jpg

DSCI0099.jpg

ok, I did it , the k frame is off, wasnt that hard. definitely easier to rebuild steering and front suspension this way, I can do it in my A/C shop now!!! here is some more pics to ponder over.....Joe

DSCI0100.jpg

DSCI0101.jpg

DSCI0102.jpg

Welcome I see its a sway bar car so it was equipped with the 10 inch brakes and heavier sway bars. Sould make a nice ride.

-
Back