'66 Cuda wheel alignment help

-

Hallwheelz

Reaction score
My front driver side wheel toes out slighty on my '66 Cuda & I'm needing some guidance on toeing it back in. Camber & caster appear fine. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks....Mike

Don't 2nd guess, w/high price of tires & not steering correctly, take it to an alignment shop. Cost you about $75. Well worth the price!!!

My front driver side wheel toes out slighty on my '66 Cuda & I'm needing some guidance on toeing it back in. Camber & caster appear fine. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks....Mike

Really you can see caster? Camber and toe are a little easier to see, but an eyeball cannot measure either. Some people will tell you to use a tape measure, I will not tell you too. I replaced the front end under my valiant used a tape measure so that I could drive to the alignment rack. I had 2 degrees of two and loads of bumpsteer for the whole 18 mile drive. Let a professional that is familiar with old chrylsers handle. Ride height absolutely must be set first. And worn parts need replaced.

You can set it up with a tape measure, provided you know 100% sure that its the drivers side that has negative toe

You have to measure as high up on the tire as you can while still being able to stretch the tape (or string) to the other side. Measure at the same spot on front and rear of tire. So if you can only get 6" up the tire on the rear of the tire, only measure 6" up on the front as well. Measure from center tread to center tread.

Since you have negative toe, the rear of your tires are going to be closer together than the front of your tire.
What I would do, especially if you have manual steering, is set up a little of positive toe (toe in). About 1/16-1/8" will do.

That will get you close enough to drive without killing tires. You should inspect your suspension though and see what you might have worn or bent to cause the toe to get out of adjustment.

I have adjusted toe-in on several of my cars using a tape measure. It is much easier if your tires have straight grooves. I don't believe an alignment shop visit is necessary. Toe-in changes greatly with ride height, and torsion bars sag over time, so how long will the perfect alignment hold? It does take time, and back and forth to get the steering wheel centered. When done, my cars drive perfectly straight when I let go of the steering wheel on the freeway and I notice no abnormal tire wear.

Ideally, the wheels should be perfectly straight when driving. For a RWD car like ours, set ~1/8" toe-in, so when driving the slight play in the steering makes the wheels straight. You might set 1/16" if everything is new and tight. For FWD cars, you set slight toe-out since the wheels pull forward which shifts towards toe-in. You never want toe-out when driving since that makes a tendency to wander.

I agree it is worth every dollar to let the pro's alighn your front end. I spent too many dollars on my 66 cuda and now my 65 cuda formula S to not spend a few more to get front end alighned by a pro! All new parts in went into those cars front ends before sent to pro for adjusting! It is and was worth every dime! Do not play around with it as then you will end up hurting your expensive tires quickly and parts will get hurt faster than necessary.....pay me now or pay someone else later lots more...simple statement means alot!!!

Old racer trick is to use a string from the rear tire to the front tire. Since the rear is rarely ever out of alignment, you have one person hold the string against the tire walls horizontally and pull it tight to the front tire walls in a straight line. If it's toed in, only the back wall will touch the string, toed out, only the front wall will touch the string.

Hope that makes sense. It won't help for aligning the steering wheel, but until you can get the car to a rack, it'll straighten the tires out.

-
Back