66 Dart 270 Question.

-

Funforfree33

Reaction score
I was installing an old eight track player in my dart the other day and while I was under the dash I noticed that over the key swich is 2 posts. One has a red wire and one has a black wire on it. Well connecting the 2 posts is a piece of bare wire that someone just rapped around the posts. Well when I turn the key on this piece of wire gets real hot but it I take it off the car looses all power. What is the deal anyone know?

Properly splice the 2 wires together or replace the amp gauge. The jumper wire added on there gets hot because it isn't addiquate for the current load.

Yup, sounds like a half-*** bypass of the ammeter. I would test the ammeter and replace as necessary. I would also check the wiring harness for other damage that may have been caused by electrical overload. Specifically, the bulkhead connectors, fuse box, alternator and the wiring to it, fusible link, lighter wiring, ignition switch and light switch plugs. Also inspect the main harness wrapping for hot spots. If you run any accessories that draw more than a few amps, run a separate fused circuit to the battery. Adding onto the factory harness is asking for an overload.

Yup, sounds like a half-*** bypass of the ammeter. I would test the ammeter and replace as necessary. I would also check the wiring harness for other damage that may have been caused by electrical overload. Specifically, the bulkhead connectors, fuse box, alternator and the wiring to it, fusible link, lighter wiring, ignition switch and light switch plugs. Also inspect the main harness wrapping for hot spots. If you run any accessories that draw more than a few amps, run a separate fused circuit to the battery. Adding onto the factory harness is asking for an overload.

Thanks alot for the answer. Would anyone know where I could get a new amp meter?

I may have one.....I'll check on Monday and let you know.....

Thanks alot for the answer. Would anyone know where I could get a new amp meter?

To bypass the ammeter just move one wire to the other lug on the meter so both are on the same lug.

Be sure the bulkhead connections are good.

Now run at least a 10 gauge wire from the alternator to the battery cable at the starter. If you've installed a 100 amp alternator you'll need a 6 or 4 gauge wire.

If you've installed a 60 amp or greater alternator the ammeter and bulkhead connections can't handle the amperage for very long before it will fail.

Now install a voltmeter hooked to the run side of the ignition switch and ground.

To bypass the ammeter just move one wire to the other lug on the meter so both are on the same lug.

Be sure the bulkhead connections are good.

Now run at least a 10 gauge wire from the alternator to the battery cable at the starter. If you've installed a 100 amp alternator you'll need a 6 or 4 gauge wire.

If you've installed a 60 amp or greater alternator the ammeter and bulkhead connections can't handle the amperage for very long before it will fail.

Now install a voltmeter hooked to the run side of the ignition switch and ground.

That's some good info!

BTW if you add more power using devices (headlights,cooling fan, HEI ignition, etc.) be sure to add relays powered from the battery lug on the starter or a new lug in a convenient location but not through the factory bulkhead connector.

-
Back