66 dart /6 carter carb leaking problems

-

marners80

Reaction score
Hi guys, Im new here and have searched around on solutions to my problem with no luck so far. I m pretty sure this thing has has leaked out of the top of the accelerator pump piston to some extent the entire time I have had it(around ten years). I had it rebuilt maybe six years ago not because It was running badly but because of the leaking.
This was my first car and I have put around 60k on it and its always started and ran well. I drove it to work for several years but now its more of a weekend/summer car since its a convertible.
A couple months ago frustrated with the leaking I sent it to a specialty carb shop to have it rebuilt again because I assumed it would come back with out the leak........It still leaks at the same place it always has. Ive considered getting a reman holly but I really like the way the car runs with the carter. I have picked up several rebuild kits just to see if i was missing a part somewhere around pump top with no luck. I have double checked the float level several times and set according to rebuild instructions. Im out of ideas.

The picture is from before the last rebuild. there is a floating washer that sits on top of the hole. tonight I tried putting a small spring between the pump top and the linage hook just to put some down pressure on the washer....didnt really work. any ideas ive stupidly overlooked?? thanks

Attachments

• dodge dart carb pics 001.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 83
i had the same problom and switched to the holly and no more leaking. i couldnt figuar it out eather....somebodys gotta know.

Judging by your photo, you don't have a float valve unless it was installed after this was taken! Still, if fuel is coming out the top, you have a float level problem. Either a bad float, out of adjustment, bad valve, dirt in the line, or a combination of those. Going to the 1 bbl. 1920 Holley is no improvement IMO.

-
Back