66 DART = bunch of questions, disc brakes, e-brake, sway bar

-

340duster340

Reaction score
sorry have a bunch of questions, this is not a restoration so trying to re-work things a bit and open to suggestions

- with front sway bar (FFI) and large patter disc brake conversion, are you running calipers front mounted or rear mounted? and which brake hoses are you using? i will be running calipers front mounted as do not have factory sway bar tabs on my LCA and will be using their mounts that use the lower shock bolt

- rear sway bar, worth it? i was going to order it along with the front from FFI, anyone running one? and do you have exhaust clearance issues?

- e-brake cables, has anyone converted to the later style that runs passenger brake over to the drivers side, and single cable from the main ebrake lever to the rear lines that mount to the brake backing plates? i want to run subframe connectors and dual exhaust, so eliminating the cable on the passenger side would be nice

- shocks: are KYB really a no go? would i be better off with monroe until i can save up for bilsteins?

Subframe connectors on passenger side is a none issue. On drivers side must cut for clearance for cable and adjuster. Gas and brake lines must be rerouted, but is not that big of a issue. The carpet inside the car was my biggest issue, was glued down to floor.

Attachments

• 09-13-2012 brake line clamps and pop riveted.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 213
Where the sway bar goes around the K and not through it, doesn't matter what sway bar, factory or aftermarket, the caliper need to go at the rear or 2 o'clock position. You're not the first who thought the aftermarket would form their bar in such a way as it would clear the calipers from a later model car.

Subframe connectors on passenger side is a none issue. On drivers side must cut for clearance for cable and adjuster. Gas and brake lines must be rerouted, but is not that big of a issue. The carpet inside the car was my biggest issue, was glued down to floor.

thanks, i plan to use subframe connectors that do not mount to floor pans, so hopefully not an issue for me, but good to point out.

Where the sway bar goes around the K and not through it, doesn't matter what sway bar, factory or aftermarket, the caliper need to go at the rear or 2 o'clock position. You're not the first who thought the aftermarket would form their bar in such a way as it would clear the calipers from a later model car.

i know this is not a new concept, and from what i have read the issue is with the original lca sway bar locations for the early a and 67-72.

when i get to rebuilding the front suspension, i will have to see which way they need to go.

I do disagree with RedFish on caliper location, but that is the majority position for caliper mounting on early a-bodies. Majority position is also that power brakes are not needed, but do pick your master cylinder bore and not get too large.

i am going to stick with a 73-6 a body manual disc master for the time being. i think its 15/16 bore, but not 100% sure off hand.

I already had my sway bar set up when I did my big bolt pattern conversion, so I opted for rear mounted Viper calipers on 11.75" Cordoba rotors.

Attachments

• IMG_0372 (Large).jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 200
I am going to be doing the same conversion as well. Was wondering where is the best place to buy the sway bar bushings and I havent seen posted here what brake hoses were being used. Thanks for any information.
Rodney

I am going to be doing the same conversion as well. Was wondering where is the best place to buy the sway bar bushings and I havent seen posted here what brake hoses were being used. Thanks for any information.
Rodney

Are you referring to the Viper caliper conversion on my car? If so, the brake hoses are custom. They need to be made with the correct banjo fitting ends for the calipers and the correct ends for the brake hard lines. I had mine made at a shop near me. It took me a long time to mock up them up with standard rubber hose. I took those measurements and had the hoses made.

Here's a thread about brake hoses. It has a picture of mine along with a couple others.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=226034

-
Back