66 Dart Horn Ring

-

gtaw

Reaction score
Is there a trick to taking the horn rings off? I thought they pulled straight off, but this one seems particularly stuck so I thought I might be missing something.

Thanks!

Jim

if you look there is a slot in the horn ring for a flat blade-- try spraying some wd-40--be careful prying -- stuff tends to break after all these years ,Lawrence

if you look there is a slot in the horn ring for a flat blade-- try spraying some wd-40--be careful prying -- stuff tends to break after all these years ,Lawrence
Yep, use finesse not force. WD-40 works wonders.

I know my 64 and a buddies 67 has 3 screws. You pop the center cap off with a screwdriver but the ring is screw on to the horn button/wheel.

I know my 64 and a buddies 67 has 3 screws. You pop the center cap off with a screwdriver but the ring is screw on to the horn button/wheel.
Yup, same setup on a '66 Dart if it has a factory wheel. I don't remember any horn rings that just pry off. A photo would help I.D. the type of wheel you have.

you have to pry off the center cap before accessing the 3 screws, this cap is a press fit with a gasket around it, there will also be a sponge type spacer underneath the cap once removed--
if the poster has the cap off the screws should be visible & self explanatory.

getting that thing off (the cap) will require finesse without breaking anything.
pictures would help, all bets are off if it is not the factory wheel for a 66.

his wheel should look like this:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachment.php?attachmentid=232375&stc=1&d=1304469494
Lawrence

Thanks for the tips, guys.

It is indeed the original wheel like the one VDART posted. I knew there had to be something I was missing.

I have to get the ring off so I can see what's up with the horn switch. :)

Thanks again,
Jim

I went to take the center cap off and it just fell apart. The previous owner had tried and broke it into three pieces and tried gluing them back together :p

Ah well. Such things are expected from a cart that's 17 years older than I am :p

-
Back