66 Dart lost keyes

-

EatDart

Reaction score
Hi y’all,
Lost my car keys for our dart.. any good solutions? Do I get new ignition cylinder?

The easy and cheapest way is to replace both the cylinder and ignition switch.
You either need a key or able to pick the cylinder to get it out of the switch.
Regardless, you'll have to remove the switch.
I can sell you a new switch and cylinder w/keys for $30 and the ride.
The biggest issue is that the door locks won't work and you don't have a key for your trunk.
You can get a locksmith that can make keys.
I can square you away for less than a locksmith, PM me for more info.

Thanks. So if I want to have a key to the ignition as well as doors I would need a locksmith? The trunk is also separate. Correct?

Thanks. So if I want to have a key to the ignition as well as doors I would need a locksmith? The trunk is also separate. Correct?
Yep.
Depending on the locksmith, they can figure out the cut on the key. Try and find a older locksmith. You have pins and not wafers in the cylinder. I don't think they make a Lishi tool for the older Chrysler's.
Once the ignition key is cut, it'll work the doors.
The trunk would be the same situation. It's a separate key. The next problem will be finding the correct trunk key blank.
Expect to pay around $250 to $350 to a locksmith for labor and about $50 for the proper blanks.

I would pull the locks and take them TO the locksmith. That will save a ton.

I did that, and it was much cheaper! I called and axed first, and he told me to just pull the passenger side door lock and the trunk lock. He said the passenger side lock won't be worn out as bad as the drivers side.
It might have been even cheaper had you not "axed" him. lol

I did that, and it was much cheaper! I called and axed first, and he told me to just pull the passenger side door lock and the trunk lock. He said the passenger side lock won't be worn out as bad as the drivers side.
Hi so was finally able to find the Keyes!! Father in-law has dementia and was visiting Thanksgiving. He does not drive anymore but sometimes picks up things in front of him. He had a Mopar back in the day so taking the keys seemed right haha!!

Thanks for your advice though.

I do want to make a copy of those keys. Can’t I just go to the hardware store and get it done?

Yep.
Depending on the locksmith, they can figure out the cut on the key. Try and find a older locksmith. You have pins and not wafers in the cylinder. I don't think they make a Lishi tool for the older Chrysler's.
Once the ignition key is cut, it'll work the doors.
The trunk would be the same situation. It's a separate key. The next problem will be finding the correct trunk key blank.
Expect to pay around $250 to $350 to a locksmith for labor and about $50 for the proper blanks.
Hi I was able to finally find those keys. Sorry for false alarm.. was paranoid a bit.

The local hardware store had blanks for me. The guy retired and the store closed. We have 2 local locksmiths that have thousands of different blanks. If I remember, a couple keys were just a few dollars.

The local hardware store had blanks for me. The guy retired and the store closed. We have 2 local locksmiths that have thousands of different blanks. If I remember, a couple keys were just a few dollars.
Ignition key won't be an issue. That trunk key though, those are tough to find.

Ignition key won't be an issue. That trunk key though, those are tough to find.
You said you have blanks......NOS and repop......Do your trunk keys work? I bought some blanks a while back and the door/ignition keys work fine but the trunk keys take a lot to get them to open the trunk.

If the trunk blanks you have are correct how much do you sell them for each? I would take 3 or 4 of them.

You said you have blanks......NOS and repop......Do your trunk keys work? I bought some blanks a while back and the door/ignition keys work fine but the trunk keys take a lot to get them to open the trunk.

If the trunk blanks you have are correct how much do you sell them for each? I would take 3 or 4 of them.
Please send him a question through a PM. This isn't a parts wanted thread.

-
Back