66 Dart lower quarter and trunk drop repair

-
Seeing quite a bit of progress this afternoon.
20170825_145939.jpg
20170825_150245.jpg

A little more progress. Getting cose to primer. May be I will have it back by the weekend.

20170828_142736.jpg

20170828_141420.jpg

20170828_143953.jpg

I stopped in today. Its all covered and the young lad was shooting some primer.
20170829_135154.jpg
20170829_135114.jpg
20170829_135259.jpg
20170829_135323.jpg

20170829_135114.jpg

Nice progress! Do they intend to take the D-A-R-T emblems off when they paint?
I don't think so. Because the original paint is so faded and I am not painting the whole car at this time, they will just cover the repairs they did and blend the rest. When I left today the tech had the paint chips out to get something close. I just wanted to get the quarters and trunk extensions done for now. If I decide to keep it and paint it, I will take it all apart and change the color.

I kinda like the faded paint look on that car. I can't wait to see the repair done. Keep posting the progress pictures.

I don't think so. Because the original paint is so faded and I am not painting the whole car at this time, they will just cover the repairs they did and blend the rest. When I left today the tech had the paint chips out to get something close. I just wanted to get the quarters and trunk extensions done for now. If I decide to keep it and paint it, I will take it all apart and change the color.
Looking good Mike will be nice to get it back,:
Lon

I kinda like the faded paint look on that car. I can't wait to see the repair done. Keep posting the progress pictures.

Looking good Mike will be nice to get it back,:
Lon

Mopar Joe was asking me today when I will get the car back. I thought I has better get busy cleani g out the stall in the storagr garage. I did that this morning and it's a good tbong I did. The 66 was done today. It looks good. They shot it with epoxy pirimer and tinted it so it matches the faded color pretty good. I will take a couple better shots tomorrow after cleaning it up a bit more. The line on the last photo is a paint line and not a crease. I should be able to fine sand or Scotchbrite the areas to smooth the edges. @lkopaska , I think I will take it to the University Ave. Cruise in Waterloo on Sunday. If you happen to come up you can hear it run.
20170830_152535.jpg
20170830_152546.jpg
20170830_152559.jpg
20170830_152608.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Toolman, Been there, done that. I looked for weeks on my 66, and I wound up welding and patching from two different cars in order to build the trunk extensions/dropoffs on mine. Looks like your turned out nicely. You bet, on the 65.....first thing I looked at. I will see on the rest of the 65 when I get the paint stripped. Looks like a pro job on your 66....doing it right will bring the reward in the end. Best, Old Dart 66.

I scuffed the primer to knock down the gloss and blend it a bit with the old paint.
20170927_111528.jpg
20170927_111559.jpg
20170927_112119 (1).jpg

Last edited:
As I understand it primer alone does not protect from flash rust so you may want to mist some paint over the primer.

Yep, No wash and I don't drive in the rain. There is still a chance of surface rust but it will all have to be taken down when painted.

Did you contact AMD and ask them to place those on their "to do" list. I contacted them about 67-69 Barracuda door skins several years ago, and I got a real nice Email back saying that they had received many other requests and were considering it.

Did you contact AMD and ask them to place those on their "to do" list. I contacted them about 67-69 Barracuda door skins several years ago, and I got a real nice Email back saying that they had received many other requests and were considering it.

Indeed Harrison, For all of the research I did to find, basically scrap metal to build one, not a bad idea. One could start a thread with an email campaign requesting the part be made. I received so many, no we don't have any, and that part is not available, and we do no manufacture that part, I began to see the words in my sleep. Those early a trunk drop offs would be/ could be/ are valuable property and are well sought after. Here, with TMM, is another example. Thanks for the thought.....Start the thread...but who to email? Maybe ABS? Thanks. Old Dart 66

-
Back