66 Dart owner help needed

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I am going to send out my tailight bezels for rechrome. I have 3 sets of them and non are what I would call nice. I really didnt want to do that but they are just to pitted. My car isnt being built to be a show car so if they were a little dull or had some slight inperfections I would be ok but all 3 sets of mine are pitted to bad for my liking. I do have both, right inner and outer that are good enough but no left matching so I guess its rechrome time. (unless someone wants to make a deal on a swap and some cash!) Anyway I went to disassemble them tonight and the screws that hold the lens to the bezel are so tight I cant get them out and I dont want to round the heads off. So I thought I would ask how others have gotten their screws out and has anyone soaked the entire assembly in a solvent that would help to loosen them wth damaging the lenses? I guess if I have to I can drill the heads off and then remove the stud that is left? I think that the bezel is a pot metal so heat is not a good thing.
Hope someone can give me some ideas.
Thanks Rod

I have three NOS lenses not a set of three I think two are Dups. You need PM me. FYI outer left is the most expensive. AND hard to find.

Mopartim, Thanks for the offer on the lens. Im looking for bezels because I have decent lens for all positions. Hopefully someone will see this post that is in need of lens. Best lf luck
Rod

I have a shiny 66 Dart rear lamp housing w/ lens I bought on ebay when I was a newbie, then found it is different than my 65 Dart. I think I wrote which of the 4 lamps it is. PM if interested and I'll try to find it when I get home.

Wd40 will not hurt lens, it would actually put need oils back into the plastic if it could absorb it. But if thst doesnt help, drilling the heads off and removing whats left with a pair of vice grips is your next option, they are cheap to replace than the lenses for sure. If all fails, drill out completely, refill with a little JB and tap another thread in there. Nit juch heeded to hold a lens on. Copper plating pot metal is pretty easy, iirc, its just a mild current on the part r and the opposite current on a metal acid brush with some copper sulfate. Brush it on in layers to build up areas, likje sanded pits, then sand down level, then plate the entire thing and finish with a chrome plate. Check out Eastwood for plating kits. Im sure there is some acid washes in there too. Couldnt hurt on a test piece.
BUT buying a nice one off a member is always good too, support the hobby!

-
Back