66 Dart shoulder belts?

-

daddanjer

Reaction score
Hello everyone , We are the proud owners of a 1966 Dart GT Hardtop. I wanted to know if anyone has managed to install shoulder belts in a 66 Hardtop?. If so how did you do it safely? I want to add extra safety to car. I have fair mechanical skills and understand some fabrication. I do not have access to a welder so I wanted to have a good knowlege of what may be involved to acomplish this as I will need to have someone else do welding if needed. Thank you in advance for all help and suggestions!! Ed

I have installed 3 point harness on my 65 Valiant signet , no welding.. I can take some specific pictures if you like... PM me

Spend money on seatbelts that are both new and good, then hope you never have to get your money's worth out of them.

I used to recommend retrofitting 4-point Wesco belts as I did on my '71, but not any more (the article is correct in its facts and physics, and everything said about 5-point harnesses is equally true of the 4-point variety, except the additional injuries that a 5-point can do to your 'nads).

When I get rid of the separate lap/shoulder straps in my '73, I'm putting in these up-to-date, reputable-brand ECE-approved 3-point seat belts (linked vendor is reliable; I've been buying there for a decade). More info on mounting at the maker's website. If I needed mounting hardware, I'd buy it again from Wesco (and their page has good illustrated write-ups on how to install belts in pillarless cars like yours here ), but the Securon belts are a much better-designed product than anything Wesco carries.

There are also bench- and bucket-seat 3-point belt setups available from XV Motorsports, but I am hesitant to recommend or use them until I have more than a one-line say-so from the company that their belts actually meet the relevant safety standards; discussion on that matter is here.

Hi Dan , Thank you for info.. Its great that both responses inluded same company to use for parts along with your new info. Thanks again. I would just like to add also that every expierience that I have had on this site has been outstanding and highly educational. I feel, as I stated earlier, that I am fair non professional mechanic for basic auto repair. I always receive easy to understand and very thorough answers, many times with links to more info and diagrams. The kindness and time from everyone mean so much to me as I am trying to teach my young son the basics of automotive repair , safety and building. He reads with me all of the help I have received here. Sorry to write so much but in today's world its fantastic to still see the kindness and unselfishness to help others. A GREAT trait for my son also. Thanks all. Ed

Same concern in my 65 Dart hardtop. Since my bucket seats were shot and the upholstery and foam alone cost >$500, I bought bucket seats from a modern convertible (Mustag Cobra $50 for both). Those have a top holder for a shoulder belt. I still haven't gotten belts nor figured how to mount the spool on the floor or rear of seat. The newer seats also provide a head restraint, which I wanted. Downside is they don't look as nice as the original seats, but safety first in a driver.

My 65 Dart has 1996 to 2000 Sebring conv. seats with built in shoulder harness & head restraints. The belts are controlled by a standalone computer mounted under the passenger seat that locks the belt if it senses excessive decelleration hopefully getting the belt locked quicker than the normal shoulder harness.

Send me a PM with your email & I'll send pictures of the install.

Here is a website for an installation in a Corvair that also provides extensive technical data for electrical, fuctionality, etc. :
http://www.corvairkid.com/sebring.htm

I have installed 3 point harness on my 65 Valiant signet , no welding.. I can take some specific pictures if you like... PM me
No welding? Are there pre-fabricated anchor-mounts up on the B-column to attach the Seat belt guide to? I have a -65 Cuda with worn-out lap belts...

I have a 66 valiant. I installed the bucket seats from a 97 Pontiac Bonneville in the front. They have the seat belt buckle made into the seat, so I got the shoulder belt too. If you tear the enterior out of the Bonneville the seat belt spool is in a black plastic case. It is not computer controled either. Bolt floor peices using existing bolts and holes from your old seat belts, and work on the upper mount on the post. It's not hard . I think I paid $100 for the seats and $20 for the seat belts.

I think safety latches on the folding seat backs should come before shouder belts.
Only a crash test dummy knows for sure.

-
Back